News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Narrow Gauge Modeling Thread

Started by Chaz, May 07, 2016, 03:42:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70Toby

Thanks for the compliment on Cora, grandpuff.  The kit is made by Dundas, and it was bought on the Dundas website.  I don't think it would be a problem for you, grandpuff, because of all of models that you have shown in the thread, but just as a word of caution for others who might be interested in the kit, I wouldn't recommend it as anyone's very first rolling stock kit.  What is provided for the floor and roof of the model are not particular to the kit and have to be cut to size, and obviously if the floor is not cut correctly, the model will turn out crooked.

I spent most of yesterday on my models of Ada, Jane, and Mabel.

I used the Wooden Railway models as guides for the faces, so from left to right is Ada, Jane, and then Mabel.  These were made from Penryhin Quarry Railway wokman's coach kits by Meridian Models.  The real-life versions of the Penryhin coaches that were bought by the Talyllyn Railway have been rebuilt with roofs and now resemble the green narrow gauge coaches from Thomas and Friends (so the green coaches are pretty much the T&F versions of Ada, Jane, and Mabel).  The kit is more true to the Penryhin version, and so they do not have buffer beams (like how they are illustrated in the RWS).  I may or may not modify them with buffers down the line.

And I realized Cora's buffers should be silver, so I made that adjustment.

I still need to fit the models with couplings.  I'm holding off on buying couplings until I determine all of the supplies that I need for another project so that I can get everything in one order.  I could actually use some advice if anyone has experience fitting 009 models with couplings.  The Bachmann Skarloey and Rheneas appear to have the BEMO style couplings, but those get pricy very quickly when it comes to how many models that I need to fit with couplings.  The loop style couplings by PECO seem more economical, does anyone know if they would be compatible with Skarloey and Rheneas without changing their couplings?  They look like they use the same coupling mechanism, just without the swiveling shaft of the BEMO coupling.

grandpuff

Toby:

WOW! Your open air workman's coaches look fantastic too. Your free hand painted faces also look great and add to the charm of your models. Very well done.

I use Peco OO9 couplers GR-102 4 to a package, and Peco OO9 coupler pockets GR-103 8 to a package on all of my OO9 rolling stock with good results. Depending on the car the mounting tab on the pockets will need to be trimmed to achieve the correct coupler height. These couplers are a match for the Bachmann loco couplers but without the swivel feature. I have been able to find these on EBAY at times, or from Hattons in the UK.

Again, I really like what you are doing.
Grandpuff
Grandpuff

J70Toby

Thanks Grandpuff, and I appreciate the advice regarding couplings.

grandpuff

Hello to All:

I have just finished my Peter Sam model today with the addition of the name and number plates from Narrow Planet. These take about 2 months to arrive but they really make the model. I used a Bachmann 0-4-0 switcher as the basis for the mechanism adding the trailing wheels from the tender to make it a 0-4-2. These chassis work pretty well with a little tinkering. While I was building this one I also built two more for Sir Handel and Proteus for which I now have most all of the parts I need for these models. I am also building a 2-6-2 chassis from a Bachmann 0-6-0 to use for Freddie. I also used an N scale brass whistle, front and rear head and tail lights from Langley Models in the UK, and Line-O-Tape lining from Mega Hobbies to complete my Peter Sam. I think it turned out pretty well and I hope you do too.

Photo #1

Photo #2

Photo #3

Here is a group photo of all of my Narrow Gauge models so far gathered around the turntable on my narrow gauge layout. I plan on taking a short break from loco building to do a little scenery work on my layout. When I get most of the scenery done I plan on doing a You Tube video showing all of my models running around my layout. Pictured are left to right, Peter Sam, Smudger, Mighty Mac, Duke, Skarloey, Rheneas, and Duncan. There is also room for Sir Handel, Proteus, Freddie, and Rusty.

Photo #4

Looking forward to Rusty's arrival in the next month or two.

Enjoy,
Grandpuff
Grandpuff

Chaz

Grandpuff, I am amazed on how incredible your Peter Sam model looks.  He is my most-wanted engine for next year's announcements and it's great seeing the model represented like how he would in the model era.  The last photo of all the engines is especially impressive too.

Good work!
Modeler of HO/OO, OO9 and N scale.  Hoping for N scale Henry, Edward and Duck.

Chaz

Been a little quiet on my end in this thread, figured it's time for an update.

During my clubs Christmas show, I have been mostly busy running Skarloey or my Baldwin.  They have been a huge hit and lots of people enjoy watching Skarloey run in particular.

The layout itself hasn't changed but I did repaint the mountain and added extra rocks and shades of ink to give the mountain a little more life as opposed to a mostly dull paint job which is what I ended up with previously.

Tunnel portal was re-adjusted but fortunately that corner of my setup still looks in great shape.

One of the other members made a wall beneath my OO9 section for his HOn3 line.  Here's hoping he finally gets around to finishing that.

I also may start working on my own OO9 layout soon.  I'll be picking up some plywood and going from there and I will post track plan pictures when I get them updated. 

grandpuff

Merry Christmas to All:

Thanks Chaz for posting progress photos from your club layout. Always interesting to see, and we will all look forward to postings regarding your personal narrow gauge layout plans. I have set aside my loco building for a while to work on my 2 by 4 foot narrow gauge layout. Included below are some progress photos. I have just finished the layout wiring and the plaster scenery. I have yet to add the trees, bushes, and still deciding on a suitable small RR station to go in the foreground.

Photo #1

Photo #2

Photo #3

Photo #4

Photo #5

Photo #6

Photo #7

Photo #8

I hope you all enjoyed seeing my layout progress, so how about some examples of others narrow gauge layouts for us all to enjoy.

I hope to see Rusty soon,
Grandpuff
Grandpuff

grandpuff

Happy New Year to you all:

I have finished the basic scenery on my narrow gauge layout except for bushes and trees as I have posted above earlier. So I am now back to building more narrow gauge locomotives. I have 3 new projects lined up to build over the next several months. I am about half way through building my Freddie model. Included below are a few photos showing the CGI Freddie rendering, the 3D printed model and the actual work completed so far. This 3D model is designed to use this specific loco chassis so it goes together very easily. The only issue is that this loco is very hard to find (got mine from Russia) and it is expensive (more than $100).

Photo 1 Freddie CGI Freddie rendering

Photo 2 Freddie 3D printed model

Photo 3  Freddie Model and Roco 33240 Henschel HF 110 chassis

When Freddie is finished I will start on Luke. Since Luke is a very small loco I have found a very small 0-4-0 chassis that is coming from Japan to power this locomotive.

Photo 1 Luke CGI rendering

Photo 2 Luke 3D printed model

Photo 3 Luke 0-4-0 chassis

After Luke is finished I will start work on Millie. I will be using the same small 0-4-0 chassis from Japan that I am using for Luke.

Photo 1 Millie CGI rendering

Photo 2 Millie 3D printed model

Photo 3 Millie 0-4-0 chassis same as Luke.

After all of these models are finished I plan on finishing a 3D model of Sir Handel so that I can build both Sir Handel and Proteus.

As these projects get completed I will post completion photos here.

Hope to see Rusty soon.
Grandpuff
Grandpuff

Rodimus Supreme

Quote from: grandpuff on January 14, 2019, 05:32:07 PM
Happy New Year to you all:

I have finished the basic scenery on my narrow gauge layout except for bushes and trees as I have posted above earlier. So I am now back to building more narrow gauge locomotives. I have 3 new projects lined up to build over the next several months. I am about half way through building my Freddie model. Included below are a few photos showing the CGI Freddie rendering, the 3D printed model and the actual work completed so far. This 3D model is designed to use this specific loco chassis so it goes together very easily. The only issue is that this loco is very hard to find (got mine from Russia) and it is expensive (more than $100).

Photo 1 Freddie CGI Freddie rendering

Photo 2 Freddie 3D printed model

Photo 3  Freddie Model and Roco 33240 Henschel HF 110 chassis

When Freddie is finished I will start on Luke. Since Luke is a very small loco I have found a very small 0-4-0 chassis that is coming from Japan to power this locomotive.

Photo 1 Luke CGI rendering

Photo 2 Luke 3D printed model

After Luke is finished I will start work on Millie. I will be using the same small 0-4-0 chassis from Japan that I am using for Luke.

Photo 1 Millie CGI rendering

Photo 2 Millie 3D printed model

After all of these models are finished I plan on finishing a 3D model of Sir Handel so that I can build both Sir Handel and Proteus.

As these projects get completed I will post completion photos here.

Hoping to see Rusty soon.
Grandpuff
All great ideas, but...um...is there supposed to be pictures here or were you going to update this post with picture as you get them? Because I don't see any pictures in this post.

grandpuff

Yes, I am in the process up loading them now.

Grandpuff
Grandpuff

Chaz

Best of luck on those projects.  I'm really interested to see how Luke in particular would turn out!

Rodimus Supreme

Quote from: grandpuff on January 14, 2019, 05:51:30 PM
Yes, I am in the process up loading them now.

Grandpuff
Sweet! Got some good looking projects there. Good luck!

CC55

Good luck on your projects grandpuff! Can't wait to see the progress posts!

-CC55

uscgtanker

When you do some scenery like grass and what not. Static grass shows up really well though 2mm and 4mm will bring your models out far more then the foam. I have been working slowly on a few modulus for my narrow gauge extravaganza. The only one thats done is a section depicting belgrave trestle from australia. very nice work on your engines I have a puffing billy garratt that i have yet to find the chassies for.

CC55

Hey all! I was just wondering if any of you use a program to design your layouts. If so which programs are they and do they use hon30/009 or just n scale. Thanks!

-CC55