News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Narrow Gauge Modeling Thread

Started by Chaz, May 07, 2016, 03:42:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chaz

Well he's here Granpuff, and I enjoy having him around!  Thank you very much!

I guess on a more selfish level I do want Sir Handel to happen before Peter Sam since it's proven to be difficult so far to find a way to make a Sir Handel model in OO9.  But I would still happily buy a Peter Sam model all the same, but it wouldn't change the fact that if it does happen next year we could be waiting over a year or two for this model like the case of Rusty and Oliver.  So I figured this would be a good alternative in the meantime.

Also looking forward to some OO9 brake vans by Tom when they are posted.  Once those are up and I have Sir Handel figured out, that would pretty much be all the bases I would need covered for narrow gauge until Bachmann announces some alternatives.  Granpuff will help me finish Duncan and once he's done and whenever Bachmann releases Rusty, I plan on posting a group photo for the collection thread too.  I figured this would be a safe approach as production continues to get slower and announcements are becoming more minimal.  Maybe things will turn around in the next year or so for narrow gauge, but in the mean time I plan on working on some alternatives to hold me over until then.
Modeler of HO/OO, OO9 and N scale.  Hoping for N scale Henry, Edward and Duck.

Angelob6660

Grandpuff those a wonderful impressive models of Peter Sam and Luke.
"...but I don't go to the movies much. If you've seen one you've seen them all."
-Kathy Selden

grandpuff

Hello Again to All:

First you are welcome to Chaz. Glad your Peter Sam arrived in good condition. I enjoyed building it for you. Also  thank you to Angelo for your kind words regarding my Peter Sam and Luke models. I appreciate your comments very much. Below you can see my completion photos of Millie. She was a very difficult build mostly because of her small size. The body was from Shapeways although it had to be heavily modified. The loco is a very good representation of Millie from the front of the cab forward. The rear of the loco had to be modified by adding the upper rear of the cab and adding the windows and also adding the tapered coal bunker. The chassis is from a Minitrains 0-4-0 which I had to order from the EU at a considerable cost. The lining is from Line-O-Tape from Mega Hobby. I used a Reduced size photo of the CGI Millie to cut out the Coat of Arms and the Millie script for my model. The photos included here and of Luke on the previous page of this thread were all taken on my 2 X 4 foot Narrow Gauge layout.

Photo #1

Photo #2

Photo #3

Photo #4

The photo #4 is for "The Bachmann" showing my Narrow Gauge Locomotive Collection which I will also post on Chaz' Thomas Collection Thread as soon as Rusty shows up. Shown in the Photo from Left to Right are Freddie, Millie, Luke, Empty Stall for Sir Handel, Peter Sam, Smudger next to Shed, Mighty Mac, Duke, Skarloey , Rheneas,  and Duncan. All of these locos except Skarloey and Rheneas were built by myself.

To be clear when Bachmann gets around to making any of the Narrow Gauge locos I will be one of the first Thomas Fans to get in line to buy them. I decided to build these models after being inspired by Chaz and his model of Duke way back on page 3 of this thread. My intention is for my models to be place holders until then and also to try to inspire others to show their work here for all of us to enjoy. I plan on taking a few weeks off to help Chaz finish his Duncan and then I will get serious about doing Sir Handel and Proteus to complete my collection.

Thank you all for your kind comments.

Enjoy, Grandpuff
Grandpuff

Cheeky_ULP

Granpuff your work is absolutely stellar! You should be very proud of the work you make; it's consistently high quality, and admirably so. That has to be one of the best Peter Sam customs I've ever seen, and can't say that I've seen a Millie custom before, either.

Angelob6660

You did impressive work on Millie. Millie has been my favorite narrow gauge locomotive in the CGI version.
"...but I don't go to the movies much. If you've seen one you've seen them all."
-Kathy Selden

JLK2707

Wow! Those locomotives just look great!:)

Chaz

Well I'm back again with an update for the first time in a while now layout wise.  So before I even get started with my own way out, there is a new section of the club where I am actually adding more narrow gauge.

What it was originally, was just a strip of N gauge track that was getting a little old and hardly used.  After talking with the president of the club, he agreed to let me replace the old track with some leftover Peco track that I used for my mine earlier.  Most of the track is ready, just need to nail the track in a few areas as you can see, and glue some of it on trestle (after some adjusting) and eventually re-wire the track and add ballast, something that wasn't done previously on this line before I took over.

This line is more or less like your standard trolley line that is made to go back and forth.  Or even on Bachmann's Sodor layout how Mavis, Salty, and Ben had their own sets of track that allowed them to go back-and-forth on the layout.  (Just gotta figure out how to make it automatic like Bachmann's layout).  Might be a fun way to show off Rusty too when he comes out but that's beside the point.

Basically, one of the tunnels is literally a dummy tunnel, might be hard to see but you can probably fit a wagon in there, and not much more.  Today I had to cut some wood to make a block to support the ground inside the tunnel since this was never completed.  Finally was able to cut the right size and glue it in.  Just a matter of getting the track situated there and on the trestle and should be good from there.

This other tunnel took a lot more thought.  I had to remove the tunnel that was installed and had to replace that track and make sure it fit in the exact same way as the previous track did.  On top of that, the end of this tunnel stretches out so it allows for a little more room to run, but not saying much.

I also added the Bachmann Trackside station for scenic purposes.  It already gives this area a lot more life, especially with the workmen in that area.

Will keep you guys posted on this, it's not my most exciting project but at least it's an update all the same.  Hoping to have the track all wired and ready for running by the end of the week.
Modeler of HO/OO, OO9 and N scale.  Hoping for N scale Henry, Edward and Duck.

TerencetheTractor525

Great work, Chaz! I love the idea of the trolley line; the layout keeps on looking better and better too.
Dreaming of a Bachmann Stepney.

grandpuff

Hello to All:

It has just been posted on the Everything Thomas thread that Rusty is listed on Ebay as available from a seller in PA.
So everyone that has him pre-ordered should be hearing something soon about availability.
Rusty has been two years coming so I hope it is true.

Grandpuff
Grandpuff

grandpuff

Hello Again:

I received my Rusty from TW this past Monday and I think it is a great model. It looks fantastic and runs very smoothly. I love the rivet detail and I really do not mind the closed cab considering its small size. I personally think that Rusty does a good job portraying Midlander which after all was a very small loco compared to Skarloey and Rheneas. Here is an updated photo of my Narrow Gauge collection including Rusty.

Shown left to right are Rusty, Freddie, Millie, Luke, empty stall for Sir Handel, Peter Sam, Smudger next to shed, Mighty Mac, Duke, Skarloey, Rheneas, and Duncan. Skarloey and Rheneas are by Bachmann. The rest of my models were built by myself.

I need to figure out how to build Sir Handel next and then Proteus to complete my collection.

Enjoy,
Grandpuff
Grandpuff

Duke

Quote from: grandpuff on May 11, 2019, 10:21:13 PM
Hello Again:

I received my Rusty from TW this past Monday and I think it is a great model. It looks fantastic and runs very smoothly. I love the rivet detail and I really do not mind the closed cab considering its small size. I personally think that Rusty does a good job portraying Midlander which after all was a very small loco compared to Skarloey and Rheneas. Here is an updated photo of my Narrow Gauge collection including Rusty.

Shown left to right are Rusty, Freddie, Millie, Luke, empty stall for Sir Handel, Peter Sam, Smudger next to shed, Mighty Mac, Duke, Skarloey, Rheneas, and Duncan. Skarloey and Rheneas are by Bachmann. The rest of my models were built by myself.

I need to figure out how to build Sir Handel next and then Proteus to complete my collection.

Enjoy,
Grandpuff

Great work!
But don't you need Bertram and Victor too to complete the collection?
Thomas - Henry - Percy/Toby/Emily - Spencer - Gordon/James - Edward/Mavis - Salty - Bill/Ben - Donald/Douglas - Diesel - Duck - 'Arry - Bert - Skarloey - Oliver - Rheneas/Rosie - Rusty

grandpuff

Duke:

Some on here may not be aware that there were some different narrow gauge locos if the RWS books are included. Besides the models shown in the collection photo above here are some of the additional narrow gauge locos that I do not intend to model:

Stuart (Peter Sam)
Falcon (Sir Handel)
Bertram (Duke)
Victor (Two Versions)
Stanley  0-4-0T
Ivo Hugh 0-4-2T

Once Sir Handel and Proteus are built I will be satisfied with the dozen or so models that I have finished to complete my narrow gauge collection. I hope you have enjoyed seeing my progress in building all of these models which goes all the way back to page 3 of this thread. And a very big thank you to Chaz for inspiring me with your model of Duke who has always been my favorite Thomas locomotive.

Grandpuff

Grandpuff

Ronniethe14xxx

Quote from: grandpuff on May 13, 2019, 02:26:12 PM
Duke:

Most on this forum may not be aware that there were over 25 different narrow gauge locos if the RWS books are included. Besides the models shown in the collection photo above here are some of the additional narrow gauge locos that I do not intend to model:

Stuart (Peter Sam)
Falcon (Sir Handel)
Bertram (Duke)
Victor (Two Versions)
Zack 0-4-0 Diesel
Rachel 0-4-0 Diesel
Marilyn 2-6-2T (Similar to Freddie)
Chang 2-8-2T (Similar to Freddie)
Stanley  0-4-0T
Ivo Hugh 0-4-2T
Helen 0-6-0T

There might be one or two that I missed for a total of around 25 total narrow gauge locos. Once Sir Handel and Proteus are built I will be satisfied with the dozen or so models that I have finished to complete my narrow gauge collection. I hope you have enjoyed seeing my progress in building all of these models which goes all the way back to page 3 of this thread. And a very big thank you to Chaz for inspiring me with your model of Duke who has always been my favorite Thomas locomotive.

Grandpuff

excuse me, but I'm unfamliar with some of the characters you mentioned.As far as I can recall, Helen, Chang, Marilyn, Rachel, and Zack aren't real characters.