News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Narrow Gauge Modeling Thread

Started by Chaz, May 07, 2016, 03:42:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TTL

Well might as well put this while I'm here. My RWS Skarloey:

Need me some Sir Handel and more Talyllyn stock.

JLK2707

Cool job STL! Also, do you think that the bachmann Toby can look good if he is painted in the livery he gets after helping James in the rws version of Dirty Objects?

Rodimus Supreme

Quote from: grandpuff on May 13, 2019, 02:26:12 PM
Duke:

Most on this forum may not be aware that there were over 25 different narrow gauge locos if the RWS books are included. Besides the models shown in the collection photo above here are some of the additional narrow gauge locos that I do not intend to model:

Stuart (Peter Sam)
Falcon (Sir Handel)
Bertram (Duke)
Victor (Two Versions)
Zack 0-4-0 Diesel
Rachel 0-4-0 Diesel
Marilyn 2-6-2T (Similar to Freddie)
Chang 2-8-2T (Similar to Freddie)
Stanley  0-4-0T
Ivo Hugh 0-4-2T
Helen 0-6-0T

There might be one or two that I missed for a total of around 25 total narrow gauge locos. Once Sir Handel and Proteus are built I will be satisfied with the dozen or so models that I have finished to complete my narrow gauge collection. I hope you have enjoyed seeing my progress in building all of these models which goes all the way back to page 3 of this thread. And a very big thank you to Chaz for inspiring me with your model of Duke who has always been my favorite Thomas locomotive.

Grandpuff

I have to agree with what was said already, that several of these characters are not real. After doing some searching, it seems you've somehow confused some made-up fan characters for real characters from the show.

TTL

Yeah, there's not that many NG engines. Many of the ones you named are fan characters clearly

Duke

Duke:

Most on this forum may not be aware that there were over 25 different narrow gauge locos if the RWS books are included. Besides the models shown in the collection photo above here are some of the additional narrow gauge locos that I do not intend to model:

Stuart (Peter Sam)
Falcon (Sir Handel)
Bertram (Duke)
Victor (Two Versions)
Zack 0-4-0 Diesel
Rachel 0-4-0 Diesel
Stanley  0-4-0T
Ivo Hugh 0-4-2T
Helen 0-6-0T

There might be one or two that I missed for a total of around 25 total narrow gauge locos. Once Sir Handel and Proteus are built I will be satisfied with the dozen or so models that I have finished to complete my narrow gauge collection. I hope you have enjoyed seeing my progress in building all of these models which goes all the way back to page 3 of this thread. And a very big thank you to Chaz for inspiring me with your model of Duke who has always been my favorite Thomas locomotive.

Grandpuff

I only mentioned Bertram and Victor because they are the only two left that have appeared in the TV-series.
I know Peter Sam-Stuart and Sir Handel-Falcon are the same characters, and that there are more NG engines in the RWS that aren't in the TV-series. I'm only interessted basicly in the TV-show model characters anyway.
Thomas - Henry - Percy/Toby/Emily - Spencer - Gordon/James - Edward/Mavis - Salty - Bill/Ben - Donald/Douglas - Diesel - Duck - 'Arry - Bert - Skarloey - Oliver - Rheneas/Rosie - Rusty

mulfred-100

Quote from: Duke on May 15, 2019, 12:20:59 PM
Duke:

Stuart (Peter Sam)
Falcon (Sir Handel)
Bertram (Duke)
Victor (Two Versions)
Zack 0-4-0 Diesel
Rachel 0-4-0 Diesel
Stanley  0-4-0T
Ivo Hugh 0-4-2T
Helen 0-6-0T

Grandpuff

I only mentioned Bertram and Victor because they are the only two left that have appeared in the TV-series.
I know Peter Sam-Stuart and Sir Handel-Falcon are the same characters, and that there are more NG engines in the RWS that aren't in the TV-series. I'm only interessted basicly in the TV-show model characters anyway.

The only RWS narrow guage engines are Ivo Huge, Fred and Mark V which the latter two were never seen in illustrations. The rest are fan made charcters.

TTL

What was said above, outside of a few of the mid sodor engines. Mark V I assume is in reference to the army owned engine

mulfred-100

Mark V, nicknamed "Ivo's Flying Bedstead" by the railway staff, is a petrol driven trolley that the Thin Controller and Mr. Hugh use to get around the Skarloey Railway
Basis

Fred is a narrow gauge diesel engine who works on the Skarloey Railway. He is the railway's No. 9 engine.
Basis

Ivo Hugh, named after the Skarloey Railway's former foreman, Mr. Ivo Hugh, is a young narrow gauge tank engine.
Basis

Rws

There were other engines on the mid sodor railway but they were not directly mentioned as i have said most of the other engines previously mentioned are fan made.

JLK2707

Chaz

Well Duncan finally arrived back from Grandpuff, all completed and ready for the summer shows!

He ran amazingly at the club layout, the Minitrains Stainz chassis made Duncan run very smoothly.  It's amazing to have all these hoops I had jumped through to finish this model have really paid off.  Definitely will be keeping this regardless if Bachmann ever announces Duncan or not.  Thanks Grandpuff for helping to finish this model for me and I hope you guys like how this turned out. 

Only one left...!
Modeler of HO/OO, OO9 and N scale.  Hoping for N scale Henry, Edward and Duck.

mulfred-100

Duncan looks amazing, Especially with rusty in the second photo. I am seriously thinking of going the same route of making one if bachmann don't announce him in 2020 or 2021 as he has always been a favourite of mine and there's a lot of potential remakes with Duncan I can do as well as a few of my own stories. Great work chaz and grandpuff hope you both manage to pull off sir handel soon. I am hopeful with some more layout progress soon along with Rusty and I am strongly concidering doing a Rusty saves the day remake to showcase my layout and the narrow gauge engines in action.

grandpuff

Chaz:

Your photos of your growing Narrow Gauge collection are always great to see posted here. I am very glad to have a small part in finishing Duncan and building your Peter Sam too. Now we both need to try to find a suitable Sir Handel model to complete our first six plus Duke of course. I am sure that running your Narrow Gauge collection at your club is a big hit with everyone!

Also thank you to the Bachmann for fixing my posting error earlier, sorry for any confusion it caused.

Grandpuff
Grandpuff

JLK2707

SoCalBobS

Grandpuff, hello.  I read you were working on a 2x4 layout using Skarloey and Rheneas.  As luck would have it, I've just started my 2x4.  Searching for locos led me here.  If you don't mind, I have a couple of questions about the engines.  I'm going to be using Peco OO9 9" curves on a 5% grade, and you noted you'd tested the S and R on worse.

So, 1) can you estimate how many cars they can manage, and 2) which climbs better?

I'd post my plan, but it's too large a file.  Suffice to say, it's almost Peruvian in grades and curves.  Maybe I can shrink the file.

I'm replacing the Thomas faces (sacrilege, I know), with smokebox door from Shapeways.

Thanks in advance!
Still learning, step by step.