News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Narrow Gauge Modeling Thread

Started by Chaz, May 07, 2016, 03:42:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grandpuff

Hello to All:

I have not been able to post any progress on my Sir Handel and Proteus project because I am still waiting for the powered chassis to arrive from N-Drive in the UK. It has been 3 months so far but I am being told that they are being assembled and should be on their way soon. We shall see how soon.

While I have been waiting for the Sir Handel chassis to get here I have been working on a model of Ivo Hugh. I had ordered a Fleischmann N scale 0-4-0 from Ebay but that loco was lost in the mail and there were no others available on Ebay. So I went to German Ebay and found several for sale there so I purchased two and they just arrived. The photos below show Ivo Hugh from the RWS illustrations for a reference.

Photo 1

The second photo shows the 3D printed body along with the Fleischmann 7000 Piccolo 0-4-0 chassis and the trailing truck assembly that I built.

Photo 2

The third photo shows the chassis and body temporarily assembled for track testing. By the way these Fleischmann locos are very smooth runners and the same chassis I used on my Duke model a few years ago.

Photo 3

All that remains to be done is the blue lining, adding head and tail lamps, engineer and fireman figures, and the name and number plates as soon as they get here from Narrow Planet. I will post a completion photo as soon as my model is finished and let you all know when my Sir Handel chassis arrive.

Enjoy,
Grandpuff
Grandpuff

Sodor Engineer

Nice grandpuff that looks amazing can't wait to so more updates on the narrow gauge engines.
I like Stepney and would love to see him in ho scale.

TTL

Completed this some months ago. Bought a spare Skarloey bodyshell and running board and converted both to be in 1864 condition. It shares the same chassis as my normal modern-ish day RWS Skarloey, which has been upgraded with the NP kit cylinders, slidebars and motion. The body was stripped of paint, hand the handrail outline sanded down and smoothed, the smokebox handrail mold filed down and replaced with a proper handrail and knobs. The plate in the cab was grinded down and fitted with a 3D printed backhead. Skarloey was completely repainted and relined as can be seen.
Would post the photos direct to the thread but the forum is stupid and won't accept any of the photos cause despite being shrink well below the limit, they're apparently still too big.
https://twitter.com/tomthestl/status/1156593365644914688?s=21
Need me some Sir Handel and more Talyllyn stock.

Rodimus Supreme

Quote from: STL on November 05, 2019, 11:42:01 AM
Completed this some months ago. Bought a spare Skarloey bodyshell and running board and converted both to be in 1864 condition. It shares the same chassis as my normal modern-ish day RWS Skarloey, which has been upgraded with the NP kit cylinders, slidebars and motion. The body was stripped of paint, hand the handrail outline sanded down and smoothed, the smokebox handrail mold filed down and replaced with a proper handrail and knobs. The plate in the cab was grinded down and fitted with a 3D printed backhead. Skarloey was completely repainted and relined as can be seen.
Would post the photos direct to the thread but the forum is stupid and won't accept any of the photos cause despite being shrink well below the limit, they're apparently still too big.
https://twitter.com/tomthestl/status/1156593365644914688?s=21

Nice custom! Usually the only way photos can be posted here is to host them on an image hosting site, such as Flickr for example.

Angelob6660

You also planning to model 1880s which Skarloey is somewhat scratchbuilt?

The Ivo Hugh locomotive looks really good but it didn't bother me about the missing trailing truck since the prototype probably didn't have one.

You're work is superb.
"...but I don't go to the movies much. If you've seen one you've seen them all."
-Kathy Selden

TTL

Quote from: Angelob6660 on November 06, 2019, 02:06:48 PM
You also planning to model 1880s which Skarloey is somewhat scratchbuilt?

The Ivo Hugh locomotive looks really good but it didn't bother me about the missing trailing truck since the prototype probably didn't have one.

You're work is superb.
Uh, I mean Skarloey was basically identical to how he was by 1866 well into the 1900s, unlike Talyllyn, Skarloey got a full cab when he got his trailing set.

And Ivo Hugh is pretty much identical to his basis Tom Rolt, which does have a trailing wheelset.

grandpuff

Hello to All:

I have been able to make a little progress on my Ivo Hugh narrow gauge model and have added an engineer and fireman figures, both head and tail lanterns, and completed the blue lining on the locomotive. I am just finishing the throttle and linkage in front of the steam dome and the name and number plates are now on the way here from Narrow Planet. And yes, if you look closely you can see that the trailing truck is there, as was shown in an earlier photo.

As soon as the throttle and the name and number plates are installed I will be posting a few completion photos.

On another note I just received notice that my N-Drive power chassis' are on their way after a 4 month wait so I will be able to finally resume work on the Sir Handel engines for Chaz and myself in addition to the Proteus I am building for my narrow gauge collection.

More to follow soon,
Grandpuff
Grandpuff

grandpuff

Hello to All:

I have just received my Ivo Hugh name and number plates from Narrow Planet so I was able to complete my model today. I have also installed the throttle body and linkage seen in front of the steam dome. The power chassis I used is an N Scale Fleischmann Piccolo 7000 0-4-0 to which I added a trailing wheel set. These locos are very smooth runners by the way.

Photo 1

Photo 2

Photo 3

Now that my Ivo Hugh has been completed my next project to build Sir Handel and Proteus can be re-started now that I have received the power chassis from N-Drive in the UK after a 4 month wait. These are very nicely done loco chassis' and run very smoothly so they were worth the wait. I will have more to report on that project in about a week or so once the chassis' are fitted and the locos are painted.

Enjoy,
Grandpuff
Grandpuff

Chaz

Painting on the engines has begun!  Glad to see further progress on Sir Handel, and I appreciate Grandpuff's effort and time being put into these models and I look forward to further updates. :)
Modeler of HO/OO, OO9 and N scale.  Hoping for N scale Henry, Edward and Duck.

mulfred-100

Ok let's try this again. Apologies for the technical difficulties yesterday. Great work on Sir Handel Chaz and on Ivo Hugh Granpuff.
So recently I've been giving my layout a much needed overhaul adding an extension, moving locations around and generally trying to better the layout and really give it a series 4 feel for when I start filming and stuff.
First up Skarloey railway sheds

A few weeks ago I impulsively bought a Hornby double engine shed. I was never fully happy with the way my original plans for the depot from series 6/7/18 looked. So when I got the shed I begun turning it the depot into the skarloey railway sheds from series 4. Each shed has 2 tracks. Then the main line runs along beside it. Additionally there will be two HO lines next to the narrow gauge line for the big engines to come visit.
The Lakeside Run-by (Picnic area)

This was another section I was never fully happy with. The way the original layout ran there was a very big gap between where the track lay and the back scene/wall so in my rebuild I've added some extra track so this now sits comfortably next to the wall and gives it a nice mix between series 4 and series 7. It's still not 100% complete as I need to add a few extra details but I feel comfortable with the progress so far.
The Mountinside Run-by
Ariel shot as seen in series 4

Ground level shots

Another classic series 4 location. This is one of the new locations I've managed to add onto my layout thanks to the detention. With my extending the layout and moving the Forest Run-by (the river) I was able to incorporate this into my layout which links directly onto the river, (more on that later). For this I simply built up the hilly sections on either side of the line and added trees. I plan on adding more cork rocks along the hillside to make it as realistic to series 4 as I can and make it look a little less grassy/green
Ben Gals (George's Roadway)

Now this part needs to introduction. I will begin working on this section of the layout next. Situated between The Lakeside Run-by (picnic area) and The Mountinside Run-by the road will run along the line side, turn behind a small hill around Lakeside Run-by and carry on to the station which will be based off Rheneas station from Series 4, especially since I already have the shed. Can't wait to get this section started and add more scenery along the wall and add some more rock facing walls along the line side.
The Forest Run-by (The river)

Now Sadly for the part of the layout that suffered the most. The river. Sadly in revamping the layout this part of the layout has had to be moved from it's original location and that has caused some major changes/issues regarding this part of the layout. As you can see the board which holds the layout sits on a table and moving it about has meant I need little chuck bits of wood to keep it all level. However I do plan on filling in the gaps between the wood and the board and adding a frame which will be attached to the table for the riverbed. Then I can paint it and add scenic accessories and eventually add some woodland scenics water effects to this area so when filming it looks fairly decent. Sadly I can't replicate the shows take on this with real running water and all the effects. I really wish I could. But I will try my best to make it look as decent as I can.
Additional Notes
There will now be two stations on the layout the first being Rheneas Station and Glennock which I have moved on to the detention part of the layout which runs from Rheneas Station right round to the Slate Quarry. Rheneas Tunnel and the Mountain side will still remain the same. Also there is a small curved section between Glenock and the Slate quarry so if anyone has any ideas what I could put there feel free

grandpuff

Hello to All:

First let me thank Chaz for posting the progress photo for our Sir Handel and Proteus project for me while I was in between Photo Sharing sites. I am now with Imageshack after Photobucket, Flickr, and Tiny Pic closed their free sites.

Second I would like to thank Mulfred-100 for posting the photos of progress on his Narrow Gauge Layout. I really like what you are doing. Keep up the great work and thanks for sharing with us here.

Next I would like to post a few completion photos of my Proteus project that I just finished today. I have been working on this since June because it has taken 4 months for the power chassis to arrive from the UK. The last week I have been able to add the boiler fittings, red lining, head and tail lamps, coal load, engineer figure, name and number plates, and couplers to finish my model.

Photo 1

Photo 2

Photo 3

Now that Proteus is done I can return to my Sir Handel project which has also been waiting for the power chassis mentioned above. I am building two Sir Handels, one for Chaz to complete his First Six plus Duke, and one for my collection of all 14 of the Narrow Guage engines. I still have the red lining, head and tail lamps, figures, boiler details, couplers, and name and number plates to install. This should take about a week to complete so I should have more photos of Sir Handel then. It will not be long now Chaz.

Enjoy,
Grandpuff
Grandpuff

mulfred-100

Proteus looks amazing. Well worth the time and energy spent building him.
Roadway update The card arrived this morning for the road which I've cut sections to size and created the crossing and the road. Added ballast along the line side. (Note there's some excess I need to clear off the road) happy with how it's looking. Still need to add the road in beyond the crossing and then start building the roadway up to the station.
General overview of the road way

And of course I couldn't help doing a couple of shots with George

More news and updates soon

grandpuff

Hello Again:

Thanks again Mulfred-100 for the additional photos of your narrow gauge layout.

I am sure we would like to see others narrow gauge work shown here too!

Here is a photo showing my current progress on the two Sir Handels I am building for Chaz and myself. As you can see I have added the red lining, boiler fitings, whistle, figures, and head and tail lamps. I still need to add the coal load, faces, couplers, and name and number plates. Once that is completed I can assemble the loco to the power chassis and add the trailing truck under the cab.

Photo 1

It will probably take me about a week to complete the remaining assembly and track testing on both models so I should have some completion photos very soon so stand by.

Enjoy,
Grandpuff
Grandpuff

TTL

There been any updates as too when the Narrow Gauge coaches are coming out? Heard they're supposed to be in this month.

mulfred-100

Well I've taken a bit of a break from the main layout modelling and today I decided it was time for something with a bit of a festive feel.

I know it's early but hope you all have a great holiday season and here's to a bright 2020.