News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Narrow Gauge Modeling Thread

Started by Chaz, May 07, 2016, 03:42:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mulfred-100

Hello all. Hope you are all well.
Well it's been along time coming but I finally got my hands on the narrow gauge coaches today.

I got 3 of each coach so both Skarloey and Rheneas can have 3 each or in some cases 2. I'm simply blown away be these.

The blue one is probably my personal favourite as it just feels so much like the model era. That's not to take anything away from the red coach don't get me wrong. When coupled up behind Rheneas they just remind me so much of series 4. Especially with the Ertl face on Rheneas.

Now the red coaches are very beautiful as well obviously based on the real life counterpart much in the same way the slate trucks and engines are. A very nice set of coaches and unlike the slate trucks seeing these on the layout still manages to feel like the tv series/cgi series. I know these will likely sell better to standard 009 models over the blue ones which feel more like a Thomas item to me at least.

Over all I love these. Very nice addition to the range and a must for anyone who has the engines. I have a full detailed review along with a short running video on my channel (currently uploading)

TTL

Well the blue ones are based directly on Coach 4 as it is now, so I can see it still selling very well, obviously they'll be given a repaint by most.
Personally plan to repaint my 2 reds once I get them into the standard SR coach stock livery of blue and cream. May have to repaint the blue to match more than likely
Need me some Sir Handel and more Talyllyn stock.

grandpuff

Hi all:

I just received my Red Narrow Gauge Coaches from TW today and I am very impressed with how nice they look. I only ordered the Red Coaches because I had previously built my own Blue and Green Coaches for myself as reported on this thread earlier.

I am sure that Chaz will post one of his usual fine reviews once he receives his in the mail.

Enjoy,
Grandpuff
Grandpuff

Chaz

The first two coaches just arrived, I am expecting more soon. When they all arrive, expect a review on my end sometime this weekend if not early next week.  Nothing but positive things to say about these!  Bachmann did a spot on job as usual, possibly their best rolling stock to date. Amazing job as always!
Modeler of HO/OO, OO9 and N scale.  Hoping for N scale Henry, Edward and Duck.

Sodor Engineer

Those look amazing they look better then the other stock photos.
I like Stepney and would love to see him in ho scale.

mulfred-100

Here is my review for anyone who would like to see it https://youtu.be/9rpvDj4_n34

sean1994rail

Ordered 4 narrow gauge coaches the other day. Getting three of the red ones for Agnes, Ruth and Lucy customs and one blue coach to be Jemima.

TTL

Quote from: SeanrailAnimations on December 13, 2019, 08:12:27 PM
Ordered 4 narrow gauge coaches the other day. Getting three of the red ones for Agnes, Ruth and Lucy customs and one blue coach to be Jemima.
I should note that Lucy's basis is TR Coach 3, which while similar to Coaches 1-2, is QUITE a bit shorter. Like noticeably shorter.

sean1994rail

Quote from: STL on December 13, 2019, 09:09:39 PM
Quote from: SeanrailAnimations on December 13, 2019, 08:12:27 PM
I should note that Lucy's basis is TR Coach 3, which while similar to Coaches 1-2, is QUITE a bit shorter. Like noticeably shorter.
Thanks for the tip.

mulfred-100

So today I decided to move one of my locations (Rheneas tunnel) from my main layout board where it was situated between the sheds and mountain line over on to the extension board inbetween the quarry and Glennock station.
Now there's a few reasons behind this move. One main reason was in it's old location I had the tunnel entrance but not the exit as once through the tunnel you were on the mountain line similar to how Terence has his narrow gauge set up and I always wanted both sides of the tunnel. Second reason for this move was to give more room over on the mountain line so I can capture shots better and it should look more tv accurate but back on to the tunnel. I've not glued anything down or anything these photos are just concept photos of what it will look like once tracks are fixed, ballasted, scenery built up ect.

Firstly an over head view so you can all see what I'm going for. This has been altered slightly from first taking this photo as there's not as much of a gap between tunnel portals and Glennock is ever so slightly moved further away so when I'm filming it feels like it's own location same with the tunnel.

Next the entrance to the tunnel. I do plan on making the pond lower then the track so it's more tv series accurate. Might not be bang on the money but it will be close enough for me to work with. I've added some of my mountain side walls at either side of the tunnel mouth and created a decent embankment for either side.

Now the exit part of the tunnel I've done the same as the entrance adding the mountain side walls at either end of the tunnel. There will be a small siding there to make it tv accurate which there will be plenty of room for. I'll add further walls along the left hand side so they run pretty much straight along to the quarry.

Lastly a concept photo for Glennock. As you can see there's no.real jaring shots of the tunnel in the background which is what I want when I eventually do remakes or my own stories. More updates to follow.

TTL

Something I've noticed, They really are exactly like their prototypes, right down to the doors only being on one side.

grandpuff

STL:

Just read your comment so thought that I would check on my red coaches and the Talyllyn Prototypes. There are doors on both sides on both the models and the prototype coaches, but the hand grabs and door hardware has been removed on the side away from the platform sides as shown in the photos below. If you look closely at Bachmann's models you can see the door hinges on the doors but no door hardware on one side as in the prototype. Bachmann really did their homework on these models.

No Hardware Side

Door Hardware Side

Very nice job Bachmann,
Grandpuff
Grandpuff

mulfred-100

So this week I've been adding the dirt path along with foliage, bushes and more trees around Glennock station area. I need to spray it down with some glue spray but I'm fairly happy with how it looks. I also need to get round to painting the water tower from elsebridge productions.

The first photo here is at station/line level

Second photo here is on the embankment giving it that season 4 feel to it.

Lastly another angle from the top of the embankment. This isn't as accurate to the tv series but it still looks ok to me
https://www.instagram.com/p/B6lv8GQHd4G/?igshid=15xtbdghzk8d4
I also did a bit test footage of this set with Skarloey in the style of four little engines which I posted on my Instagram.

TTL

Right so does anyone know of a spray paint that matches the Bachmann blue coach's shade of blue or comes close?

grandpuff

STL:

If you scroll up this page to message #452 you can see a photo of my narrow gauge passenger cars. The paint that I used for my blue coaches and matching brake van is Testors 3 OZ spray can #1208 Gloss Light Blue.

I hope this helps you,
Grandpuff
Grandpuff