News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Narrow Gauge Modeling Thread

Started by Chaz, May 07, 2016, 03:42:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TTL

Finally got my hands on a few of the NG Coaches, already starting converting them.
https://twitter.com/TomtheSTL/status/1212961449468928000?s=20

https://twitter.com/TomtheSTL/status/1213169245447753729?s=20

This one will likely sold because of some small areas I'm not happy with, hence i got another blue coach to remake Lucy. Ruth has just started under going her repaint, with Agnes arriving today.
I also built Cora:

https://twitter.com/TomtheSTL/status/1212448526887792641?s=20
Need me some Sir Handel and more Talyllyn stock.

Angelob6660

I purchased their new red and blue narrow gauge coaches back in December. 3 of each. I totally forgot that I purchased 6 and thinking I had 4 for some reason. Silly me.

Like posted earlier the blue carriages also don't have door handles on the other side. Plus I don't remember these coaches ever having bumpers.

While looking at photos from season 4 I can see the bumpers. Probably me not seeing them is the lighting which is pretty dark with same paint being black.

Hey Chaz where's your review on the narrow gauge coaches? It's been several weekends pasted already.
"...but I don't go to the movies much. If you've seen one you've seen them all."
-Kathy Selden

Chaz

Modeler of HO/OO, OO9 and N scale.  Hoping for N scale Henry, Edward and Duck.

Angelob6660

Thanks Chaz, I thought the review was on this discussion than the narrow gauge coach discussion. It was a very good review. I had the same problem trying to make mine.
"...but I don't go to the movies much. If you've seen one you've seen them all."
-Kathy Selden

Chaz

Thank you!  I'm glad you enjoyed it.

I will be posting updates on my new OO9 layout soon, I added the baseboard last night so now it'll be a matter of laying the track/roadbed before I can really get started.

TTL

Figured I'd attempt to post this here. Recently started experimenting with adding faces to my NG coaches, and decided to use the clear sticker faces after discussing it with a Japanese modeler who did the same.

I started with Lucy, who served as the testing ground for the theory, though I wound up having to shave one of the communication cords back. I plan to either remedy the face or just redo it. It'll likely be cut up into the separate features to allow for easier application and serve as the test for that.

Agnes turned out better, and she's also gotten her class numbers applied to her door:

Still trying to find one that's a bit different from Agnes for Ruth, while Jemima and Beatrice? Well I'll cross that bridge once I'm able to get their respective kits done and built.

Chaz

Well I'm back with some progress on my OO9 layout that I finally got started on!

Once the foam baseboard was glued to the wooden board, I was able to get the cork roadbeds added to the setup with the help of Jay (DecadesofSun).

It was then painted brown just to give it a more scenic color to start with before I add further scenery to the setup.

I took some pictures with some engines and buildings on the setup just for kicks and giggles before I make further progress.  The track is not nailed and wired/soldered yet since I am waiting on some more track to arrive from Hattons.  Once they arrive I can finally give these models a run on the setup before I add scenery/ballast.  In the meantime enjoy the other pictures:

Four Little Engines

grandpuff

Chaz:

Very glad to see that you have started on your Narrow Gauge Layout. What are the dimensions, it looks to be about 3 by 4 feet from your photos. That is a little larger than my 2 by 4 foot layout. Also happy to see your First Six plus Duke locos pictured as well. I am also happy to have played a part in building our Narrow Gauge collections. I will look forward to following your layout progress here. Great start.

Grandpuff
Grandpuff

Chaz

Thank you for the response Grandpuff!  The layout is 4x2 1/2 so actually you're pretty close!  Wanted to make a little more room for the yard on my setup. :)

Griffin (TheBlueSnowplow)

The layout is already shaping up very well Chaz- excited to see what comes next.
Check out my Youtube channel below. 
www.youtube.com/thebluesnowplow

TTL

Following on from my post a month ago about the 3 out of the 5 original Skarloey Railway Coaches I had completed transforming from the Bachmann ones, Agnes and Ruth from the red and Lucy from the blue, and the lack of progress on finding and obtaining kits for Coach 3 and Brake 5, I decided to skip to the next coaches in the line; the open coaches Ada, Jane and Mabel. These were built from the Meridian Models Penrhyn coach kits, the 3 pack in particular, coupled with bashed bufferbeams of styrene and Rodney Stenning Talyllyn Buffers.
The typical rake seen, with Ada, Jane and Mabel being followed by Cora

Ada

Jane

Mabel

And of course the fairly basic, effective, coupling system I've made for them

Hopefully more to come soon.
Regards guys

Chaz

Ada Jane and Mabel look great STL!  Any plans to add faces to them as well?

The rest of the the track arrived at my setup earlier and I was able to get the setup all wired and now the layout is fully operational.  Here are a few more pics:

TTL

Well that's the plan. I've a few ideas based on the clear sticker face principle I've taken from the Plarail capsule toys.

TTL

That's 4 down, 1 to go.
Well after much searching, toiling and a bit of repair work, I finally acquired and built a Meridian Models TR Brake No.5 kit to build SR's own Brakevan No.5 "Beatrice".

The model was acquired from an acquaintance of mine, who sold it to me after it had been left sitting unbuilt for the past few years. This was because on the 2 side pieces of the van, there are 2 stubs either side on each piece and you're only supposed to cut off one side. He cut off all of them. As such I rebuilt the stubs out of styrene and filled in any small gaps among a few areas which needed attention. Her current coupling is a temporary addition, with BEMO and NEM couplings currently being considered.

I was also able to acquire a Meridian Models TR Coach 3 kit, which I did start but it has been put on hold due to the solder not sticking to the brass and small warping in various areas of the brass sides that I'll need to sort out.
https://youtu.be/DipMOgG9-vs

Chaz

Very nice work on Beatrice STL!  The video was great too, and I really like the faces you added to your coaches.

I've been working a lot on my layout as well during the pandemic.  I recently added grass, turf/bushes, ballast, dirt and even buffers to my setup making it come to life even more.  Probably all I will do for now until the pandemic settles down but for the most part I am very happy with how it's turning out so far. :)