News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Buzzing Sound-Value S2

Started by genetk44, May 13, 2016, 03:20:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

genetk44

I just received my B&O Sound Value S2 today and am a bit disappointed. So far I've had very good luck with my Bachmann locos including my 9 Sound Value ones,both steam and diesel. I'd say the worst problem I've had so far is over lubrication(grease) by the factory.

Anyways my Sound Value S2 arrived direct from Bachmann today and I have to say I am disappointed. The sound files are pretty anemic compared to my steamers and RS3s. And of course the trucks are overloaded with grease as usual. But the biggest disappointments are the noisy gear/motor noise and the buzzing. The loco runs pretty well and quiet in reverse but in forward the motor/gear noise actually overpowers the sound files. That and the background buzzing. Even when the sound is muted and the loco is at a standstill the motor buzz is very loud and noticeable.  So far I have cleaned the excess grease out of the trucks and gears and I am breaking the loco in at half-speed on my rolling road with the sound off...hopefully that will help but I doubt it.

Sending it back to the factory is not an option...between shipping costs and the hit from Canada Customs shipping it back to the US isn't happening....so I have to sort it...hopefully with help from you guys here

jonathan

I'll start with the sound problem.  Actually the S-2's sound is not bad.  It just can't get out of the shell.  I removed two windows, when adding a crew, and the sound volume greatly improved.  You may want to try the same.

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,27746.0.html

As for the buzzing, that seems to be a rare occurrence on some Bachmann locos.  I had a diesel that did that.  I ran it, and ran it, and ran it.... eventually is went away.  I'm guessing, but I think the motor was the source of the buzzing.  Although, I've heard of some folks adding a little tape between the frame and shell and that helped.  Dunno, never tried it.

Regards,

Jonathan

brokenrail

I have has the buzzing issue with the s2 and the s4 myself that got loud after break in.They set me replacement motors and I fixed it myself. Talk to the service manager Laura Harris and explain your situation.Try to run them in for a wile as recommended by Bachmann FIRST!The speakers are weak .Replace with a sugar cube speaker 11-15 by 8mm. This solves the low volume problem and gives you great base that the decoder puts out very well.You will also hear many sounds that you did not even know were there with the stock speaker set up. These are great little switchers with a few tweaks. I have not tried Johnathan's method  ,but unless you are advanced modeler .I would not recommend his method since the stock speaker cannot compete with the sugar cube at all.There is a speaker box extension behind the front headlight.Cut that off and you will have room for the sugar cube, then the rest of the speaker box can be used to direct the sound out the bottom opening in the frame ,or used to hold some weight.Remove the stock speaker from the box .Th sugar cube speaker is all you need.Agood video is on the tube about this.Check it out!
Johnny

genetk44

Thanks guys. I will give the loco some more time to break in. Brokenrail...can you advise on the brand of sugarcube speaker to buy?
The buzzing does appear to come from the speaker.

Cheers
Gene

Hunt

Gene,
When you press F8 (mute all sounds from decoder sound files) is buzzing eliminated or is there a different sounding buzz?

genetk44

Hunt...yes thats when you can hear the buzz is when the sounds are off/muted.

Hunt

Gene, buzz still there after removing shell?

genetk44

Hunt...yes it was...seemed to be coming directly from the speaker as best as I could tell.

Hunt

Trace one of the two wires from the speaker to its connection to the decoder.  Remove plastic clip and remove one wire from decoder. Make sure the loose end is not in contact with anything.   Make note were the wire is connected so you can reconnect.  With a speaker wire disconnected is buzz eliminated?

genetk44

Ok...its 1:20 in the morning so I'm not in shape to do that now...I'll disconnect one wire tomorrow and report back the result. Thanks hunt.

Hunt

Quote from: genetk44 on May 13, 2016, 03:20:22 PM
The loco runs pretty well and quiet in reverse but in forward the motor/gear noise actually overpowers the sound files. That and the background buzzing.

Even when the sound is muted and the loco is at a standstill the motor buzz is very loud and noticeable. 

BTW -- I did read the above before my first I replied.   

brokenrail

Strange  when it was said that the buzzing noise happens when sitting still .This is a new one for me with these. The noise in one direction only with these is related to the motor itself unless the drive shaft coupling attached to the worm gear is too far back on the worm shaft creating a bind in one direction.The motors in these with the larger flywheels gave me trouble with noise and were replaced with the smaller flywheel version.The new motors made some noise for a wile.It took a long break in time for them ,but they did quiet down to a smooth silent running motor.A unusual amount of time for some reason.The original motors had loose motor bushings brand new where you could move the motor shaft side to side ,feel it and see it under magnification with a drop of oil there that kind of acts like a tracer when observing the area wile the motor shaft is being moved from side to side.If this is the case the motor is defective for that issue .But a buzzing noise sitting still with the sound off needs more tests as described
Johnny

genetk44

Ok...clarification.
There are two types of " noise" happening with this loco.
One is a motor/geartrain growl/grinding noise , that doesn't worry me too much...it is kind of common especially on older locos like the 70 tonner...I'll be able to sort that out in due course.

The one that bothers me more is the buzzing which seems to be electric/electronic related with the decoder or speaker or both combined and thats the one we are concerned with here. The buzzing is there with both the sound-files on and muted. Granted you really have to get your ear right up and listen really hard for it under the sound files but it is there. When the loco sounds are muted there is no mistaking it...with the throttle at speed step 1, loco not moving and the sound files muted you can hear the buzzing from 5 ft away.

So I just did as Hunt suggested and disconnected just one of the speaker wires from the decoder and the buzzing is gone with the loco standing still and moving. The lights still work and the loco moves in both directions.

brokenrail

The sound is muted and the loco is standing still and has a buzz sound.When you disconnect the speaker the buzz goes away. If this is the correct interpretation.You have yourself a bad sound decoder if your voltages are correct on your track.With mute on there should be no sound out of the speaker.I had a defect with a sound decoder for a alco s4.Basically the same sound decoder. Call service and ask to speak to Laura Harris the service manager and describe your concern she will give you her E-mail so you can send the proof of new purchase and if your able to fix it yourself she can help with the warranty part.I had to send my decoder in and they exchanged it for a new one that was covered under warranty.Do not solder anything or you will have troubles getting that approved for exchange.They are very good at backing up there warranty and working with you if you have your proof of purchase especially a new purchase.Hope this helps.
Johnny

genetk44

You are correct...when F8 is pressed and the sound-files are muted completely there is a buzzing sound from the loco even when it is at a complete standstill...as best as I can hear it is coming from the speaker. When I disconnected just one speaker wire from the decoder the buzzing was gone and of course so were the loco sounds both at the stand-still and when the loco was moving.