News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Buzzing Sound-Value S2

Started by genetk44, May 13, 2016, 03:20:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

genetk44

So I reconnected the speaker wire and the buzzing is still there with the sounds muted and at speed-step 0
As I increase power the buzzing diminishes and by speed-step 3 it is almost gone...the grinding gear noise takes over....but it can definately be heard to decrease as power is applied and before the grinding gears get too loud.

Hunt

brokenrail

I am pretty sure that grinding gear noise is from the motor.If you want to try one more thing.Go to cv 217 it is not listed and set it to zero and see if your buzz goes away.If it does there is definitely  problem with the decoder when standing still.Almost forgot.Turn cv 131 to zero,but leave the sound Un-muted and see if you still have the buzz with the speaker hooked back up of course for this test.Been around the block with these switchers a few times.I finally got the bugs out of them and they are great for over a year and a half now .I completely understand your frustration.
Johnny

brokenrail

Quote from: Hunt on May 15, 2016, 01:05:16 PM
Replace the locomotive.
Sort of looks that way.Trying to help but,I guess Ya ;D

genetk44

Replace the loco? Seems extreme at this point. I'm on the road for 2 weeks...when I get back I'll contact Bachmann and ask for a replacement decoder as per your suggestion. At least this loco is very easy to open and the decoder replacement is a simple job. After that we shall see.
Thanks for your help guys...it was appreciatted.

I normally only buy my locos from local shops and have never had a problem....I think this is my 4th loco online in 4 years and I'm batting 50%...this loco and one that was a pair that I pre-ordered from Atlas that took 13 months to get here and one was duff straight out of the box, the other was perfect.....took 6 weeks to get it back from warranty repair.
The 4 th loco was a Bachmann RS3 via Micro-Mark that was perfect.

Hunt

genetk44,
A damaged speaker has not been eliminated as being the cause of the buzzing.

genetk44

Quote from: Hunt on May 15, 2016, 02:47:57 PM
genetk44,
A damaged speaker has not been eliminated as being the cause of the buzzing.

Agreed...so I'm considering a sugar-cube speaker replacement as somebody suggested on another forum yesterday.

genetk44

Quote from: brokenrail on May 15, 2016, 01:09:32 PM
I am pretty sure that grinding gear noise is from the motor.If you want to try one more thing.Go to cv 217 it is not listed and set it to zero and see if your buzz goes away.If it does there is definitely  problem with the decoder when standing still.Almost forgot.Turn cv 131 to zero,but leave the sound Un-muted and see if you still have the buzz with the speaker hooked back up of course for this test.Been around the block with these switchers a few times.I finally got the bugs out of them and they are great for over a year and a half now .I completely understand your frustration.
Johnny

BINGO!!!!! And we have a winner!!!!!

Ok...first I switched CV217 to 0 and exited the programming mode....buzzing gone!
Then went and switched CV 131 to 0 .....buzzing and sound files gone even when hitting F8 to turn sound on.
Then switched CV 131 back to its original setting...sounf files back as per normal but buzzing is still gone.

So I'm leaving CV 217 set to zero.

Thank you Johnny!!!!

Btw...what exactly is CV 217 ???

Ok...found it...apparently it is a master to turn BEMF on or off.   0=off. 2= on.  Apparently 2 is the default.

Hunt

No winner!  You will have poor locomotive performance with CV 217 set to 0.

genetk44

Quote from: Hunt on May 15, 2016, 04:32:56 PM
No winner!  You will have poor locomotive performance with CV 217 set to 0.

In what way? A quick test...it seemed to be running fine?

Hunt

genetk44,
Reset the decoder.  Run using address 3.

Does buzzing from speaker return?

Resetting the sound decoder CVs to their factory default value is a two-step procedure.

1)  Program CV 8 with 8 (can use either Service Mode or Operations Mode programming)
   2)  Cycle power to the decoder by turning power to the track off and back on

After about six-seconds upon restoring power the headlight and backup light will blink simultaneously 16 times indicating that the CVs were successfully reset. However, if sound or lights come on immediately upon restoring power, the decoder did not successfully reset. Repeat the two-step procedure.

genetk44

Ok Hunt...I did the factory reset as per the instructions...the buzzing returned when I muted the sound.

Hunt

Several problems with your locomotive, one of them is a defective decoder.

Knowledgeable SoundTraxx and Bachmann folks do not comment on the purpose of CV 217 (thus it is undocumented) so neither will I, other than to say the factory default value should not be changed. If you feel your locomotive performs fine with CV 217 = 0 and there is no interference with control of other DCC locomotives; then, use that setting until the decoder or better yet the locomotive can be replaced. 

genetk44

Ok thanks Hunt. Since I'm on the road for the next 18 days not much I can do until I return. I only have a 6 ft long switching layout so I can't do a long run,I'm limited that way. When I get back home I'll run. The lloco with cv217 at 0 and see how it behaves with other locos on the layout. I'll also see if I can get another decoder from Bachmann.

I'm reluctant to send it back because doing so from Canada requires various customs documentation, postage charges  plus this loco cost me quite a bit with the currency exchange and customs duty....unless Bachmann is willing to waive any kind of return/restocking charges a replacement loco gets very expensive, especially if I get hit by Canada customs again.

These are all reasons I normally prefer to buy locally from my local hobby-shop.

brokenrail

cv 217 turns off the bemf.My dda40x sound value just started to make the same type of noise.That is how I sort of knew that it may work.The DD has many ,many hours on it and runs ok ,but no longer a silent runner with it muted.Almost sounds like Bachmann dcc onboard locos.With this problem along with the grinding.It should be replaced.Turning  cv 217 to zero is just for test purpose and does not fix anything.It just confirmed that there is a problem in the bemf motor control circuitry causing a noise that should not be there in a sound value diesel as far as i know since i myself have many.
Johnny