News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

RFI filter capacitors

Started by Osprey797, May 23, 2016, 06:12:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Osprey797

When installing a Digitrax decoder (in this case a DN125) the instructions say to remove the filter capacitor where installed.

I have a Bachmann N Scale N&W J Class 611 with the PCB in the tender, which ran fine in DC analog mode on my Digitrax DCC system. I installed the Digitrax decoder onto the PCB and desoldered two capacitors C1 and C2. The decoder programmed okay, but the engine will not run. I assume that one of the capacitors has to remain, but I don't know which one.

Has anyone successfully installed a wired decoder to the J Class 611 tender? Which capacitor should be removed, if any?

Hunt

C3 and C1 capacitors were the ones to remove.

Osprey797

Correction: I desoldered C1 and C3 capacitors. I don't think the decoder is bad because it responded to JMRI programming.

brokenrail

Ya take them off they are trouble waiting to happen .They will short out and blow your decoder.They were used in automotive applications and the type used are just junk.They were elimated after 1 production year and cost the manufacturer and the technitions nothing but a head ache.
Johnny

Hunt

Quote from: brokenrail on May 28, 2016, 10:20:28 AM

Ya take them off they are trouble waiting to happen .. . .

Not all DCC decoders are adversely effected by the capacitor(s) across the motor circuit.

. . ..They will short out and blow your decoder.. .  .

Highly unlikely in a model locomotive context.

. . . They were used in automotive applications and the type used are just junk.They were elimated after 1 production year and cost the manufacturer and the technitions nothing but a head ache.
Johnny

Not applicable in a model railroad context