Sound system for Bachmann 4-4-0 Eureka & Palisade loco

Started by CNMRR, November 22, 2007, 10:18:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CNMRR

Bach Man

I have a Bachmann 4-4-0 that I am interested in adding a sound system.  I understand it is prewired for a sound system.  What system would you recommend for this loco?  And what all is involved in setting up the system.  Thank you for any information you can give to me.

Jon D. Miller

Prewired may be a little overstated.

There is power in the tender along with the wire plug to trigger the chuff.

The power will be used for the sound card.  Wires need to be run from the chuff trigger plug in the tender to the sound board.

The other items to make a good sound system functional will be provided with a good quality sound system.

Sierra sound or Phoenix would be my choices.  Either of these systems will come with installation instructions.  I prefer the Phoenix sound.  Choice is yours.

Installation is rather straight forward.  The 4-4-0 should be a simple installation.  If you don't think you can make the installation then find a installer to do it for you.

JD
Poster Child (unofficial & uncompensated)

Loco Bill Canelos

I prefer the Sierra systems, especially if running outdoors.  It seems to have better volume than the Phoenix and the Bass seems to be better.  I found the Sierra instructions very easy to follow all step by step, and I had no experience.  They also have a warranty which says if you screw it up while installing it they will replace it no charge. 

Many of my friends have mistaken my Sierra sound system for the more expensive Phoenix system. 

Good luck and once you add sound you will never go back!!!!
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

CNMRR

I would like to thank Jon and Bill for responding.  Of course now I have two different opinions and still have to make the decision.  If I am getting all of the information possible, it seems that the Phoenix has sound recorded from a true 4-4-0 while the Soundtraxx had light, medium and heavy weight steam locos.  My engine is wood fired, so the sound of coal being shoveled in provided by Phoenix is not important.  Are the two systems equal as to other sounds provided (taking on water etc.) or am I mistaken on the additonal sounds available.

Thanks guys 

Loco Bill Canelos

I think the Sierra sound units you are referring to are the newer Tsunami units rather than the older Sierra Soundtraxx Units.  The soundtraxx units also have the sound of shovelling coal, at least the ones I have do so they may not be suitable for you.  There is nothing wrong with the Phoenix system and my son uses them.  They just sound tinny to me, but I am an old guy and my ears aren't as good as they used to be.  Having said that, If I could only get a Phoenix I would, because any sound system is better than none.

Try going to the Sierra website.  Google on Soundtraxx and that should get it for you. Then check out the different locos available.  You can email them to see if they have anything for a woodburner. Or try this:http://soundtraxx.com/products/sierra/price.htm

Look down the list and you will see that they have a unit specifically for the Bachmann 4-4-0, 830121 is thier product number. 

I do not know if it is for a woodburner though, you will have to check with them.

Best of luck
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Mark Oles

What kind of control set up do you use? Straight track power? DCC? Battery?  That can make a difference in what sound system you choose.

I have a Phoenix 2K2 sound card for my Aristo mikado.  I don't know if the Sierra sound card is programmable, but the Phoenix is.  (If you buy the cable and sounds CD).  I have found this to be a nice way of configuring the sounds I want to hear and eliminate others.  I also like how things like the speed at which the crossing whistle blows and the bell rings can be set by me.  The user can also program the volume of the sound, such as the generator turbo whine.  If I ever get a 4-4-0, I will be putting a Phoenix card in. 

Jon- does the chuff trigger cause two chuffs or four per revolution?

Mark

CNMRR

Mark
You brought up a very good question.  I am just in the planning stages of a shelf layout.  I use to have an HO layout with straight track power.  I never have used DCC but may be interested in getting information on it before I start my layout.  I know nothing about it.  I assume from your reply that it makes a difference how you set up the sound system so I guess I better check it out before I buy a sound system.

Thank you

Mark Oles

The only reason I brought it up is because Phoenix makes two different sound cards.  One for straight track power, the other more suited to battery and DCC. 

If you are getting started and plan to build a shelf railroad, the straight track power is the easiest and most appropriate, in my opinion.

Mark