News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Help with a Bachmann SD40-2

Started by kamerad47, May 16, 2016, 04:38:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kamerad47

I went to run my SD40-2 the other day & it would not pull more then 1 car   so I looked at it & notice that the rear trucks were free spining , so I took it apart everything looked okay drive-shaft connected , took the truck out because it was still free spining open the worm gear up & found out the main gear is just laying in there ,the pin that holds it is gone !!!! can't find it  they don't sell the pin ??? Any help !!!!

bapguy

You could look for piano wire that would fit inside the gear and cut to fit. Or buy a new truck.  Joe

brokenrail

That sounds like a great idea If you can find the correct size to press fit. Strange how that sd40-2 truck does not share any parts with anything else Bachmann  makes in ho scale diesel. Like to see the the sd 70 ace truck under them with retooled side frames to fit them. The trucks on the sd40-2 are the weak link and should be discontinued in my opinion .Had many problems with them.Ended up putting frame cross-members in 1 to see if I could, and installing Athearn blue box trucks with bronze bushings. A true hybrid that has the best of both .
Johnny

kamerad47

Fix it with a #4 finish nail cut to size & a dab of hot glue to hold it in!!!!!