News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

2-6-0 Decoder

Started by Barry Karlberg, May 16, 2016, 06:18:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry Karlberg

Recently I purchased a new Bachmann 2-6-0 which I thought was DCC/Sound but have found to my disappointment that it is in fact only DCC ready. The fault is my own not the sellers for not double checking to make sure the engine was DCC/Sound Value.

My question is how do I go about adding DCC/Sound to this engine? I know I can probably put in a DCC plug but how do I add Sound?
Can I simply buy a decoder from Bachmann and make an easy swap? Purchase a decoder/sound equipped tender and swap shells?

Any suggestions/information is very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Barry

electrical whiz kid

Barry
with every "DCC-equipped" locomotive, one has to keep in mind that somewhere along the line, someone installed-not grew-a decoder within the confines of an engine or tender.  What this means is that, a means of feeding said decoder with power, installing lighting, speaker(s), etc.,-and programming the same old said DCC unit.
To me, stuff like that means that I can probably accomplish this task for myself. 
I think it is safe to say that, at least on the more contemporaneous equipment, installing this stuff is a snap-if you are careful.  It would be fairly easy to cook to a crisp a decoder, if improperly installed; so, like anything else, a little planning goes a long way toward achieving success.
If you still want to give this a try, there several really great books on model railroad wiring on the market, that pertain, more or less, to said endeavour.  Good Luck.

Rich C.

bapguy

http://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=popup_image&pID=5630
Remove the tender shell. This board should be visible. In the center is a rectangular plug with 2 holes diagonal from each other. On top and bottom are solder that look like a L and 7. Remove this plug. A sound decoder with an 8 pin plug will now go there. There is room for a speaker in the bottom of the tender. Soundtraxx and others make sound decoders. Choose the correct sound file for the loco. . Make sure to plug in decoder correct way.Pin 1 is the orange wire. The plug will have a 1 or dot where pin 1 goes. Here is the schematic of the loco and tender.   Joe 
http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/dwg/dwgs/HO_260_DCC_ready.pdf

Barry Karlberg

Thanks, Rich for the encouragement and Joe for the good details.

Now to find the right (light steam) decoder with a plug in speaker and I think I can do it.

Barry

Barry Karlberg

The following is a compilation of posts from another website and information offered me by a gentlemen named Boyd. This may be helpful for those of us who wish to add a sound decoder to a Bacmann DCC Ready locomotive. I was looking specifically, to do this with an HO 2-6-0 but I think it was also work with other Bachmann locomotives. The best part is that the components are all "plug and play" which should make it easy for those of us not wanting to solder tiny wires.

Barry 

BAB
I agree as the new Soundtraxx eco series decoder with plugs one can also order the extesnion harness with plugs on both ends that plug into the bachmann board and into the eco decoder. The decoder also has a place to plug in the current keeper and speaker too.

"BAB thanks, for the information. Can you provide any additional details, decoder #, harness #, plug in speaker # or installation details?
Thanks to you and Wrong Way Murphy for the help.
Barry, all new to this stuff."

BAB
"I do not have that info but call them direct and they will give you the correct number for the one which as all plugs, three total, on the board think its 200PNP but not sure. Thats the way I found it seems I cleaned off my desk and with it went the numbers I had scratched out. Also you can oreder direct from them when you call. Ask for the 9 to 8 pin harness and the decoder for either steam or diesel of corse and you have enough room in the tender for there new plug in current keper too so get that also. When you get the new board cut the plastic heat shrink off from around the connector carefully so you can remove them and put on the new ones. Also make sure you use some electrical tape to cover any exposed board areas. Good luck, but like I said they are nice to work with so give them a call. Boyd in Chiloquin"

BAB
"Ok went on there web site, Currentkeeper, 810140,harness 810135, this is the one I think you want but call them to make sure eco 200 but tell them you want the one with all plug in harnesses on both ends. Boyd"

Searsport

If you look in the Bachmann spare parts area on this website under the ALCo 2-6-0 you will find some relevant parts, e.g. a speaker to fit this tender.

Good Luck,
Bill.

Bucksco

Did you purchase an ALCO 2-6-0 Mogul  - item numbers 517XX or 518XX or one of the older USRA 2-6-0s?
The newer ALCO 2-6-0 Mogul is DCC ready and features an NMRA decoder socket. The older USRA 2-6-0 locos will need the decoder to be "hardwired" into the loco. An easy way to tell is whether there is a wire harness between the loco and tender. If there is a harness you have a newer loco with the socket in the tender - if there is no wire harness between the loco and tender you have an older loco without the socket.

Barry Karlberg

Thanks, Yardmaster for the reminder.

I knew it was DCC but failed to read further in the description to insure it was Sound Value rather than Ready.
At any rate I have already lined up a friend to do the work to change the locomotive to a sound decoder one.

Barry