N scale DCC layout started, but need help with problem...please

Started by uscstaylor, May 16, 2016, 08:04:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

uscstaylor

Hey Guys,
I recently started a DCC Norfolk Southern n scale layout and here's what I have done so far. I have built and completed the Layout Table, Skirt, and Background. I placed roadbed and track with ballast. I have soldered feeder wire on the whole layout about every 12 inches to 20 inches all the way around. I have a total of 6 Atlas turnouts and one small Atlas crossover. My layout is "L" shaped and is 8X4X4X8, My goal is to have 2-3 engines run on it at any one time. Below I'm going to place some pictures of it so you can get a better idea of what it looks like. These photos are about 2 weeks old. My questions or problems are these.

1. How many feeders do I need for DCC, do I need to do every single piece of track or is what I have OK.
2. Is a DCC Dynamis control system OK for this layout or should I move to a better system.
3. Do I need a Booster? I know that Bachmann don't make a Booster for the Dynamis right?

My problem I'm having is that I have it hooked up as DC and most of my engines run fine on the track, but when I set it up for DCC and try to run the engines, the engines don't move at all. I installed drop in decoders but I have no way to check them to see if they run unless I put them on my track. Should I make some type of test track for just engines? I think the turnouts are OK cause they are Atlas code 80 and I think from what I read that they are DCC OK...If anyone can help me I would appreciate it.

Photos attached:

Ken G Price

Do you mean running, as in moving? Or as sitting on the tracks?
How many engines sitting makes no difference. I can not see you needing a booster unless you wish to run a lot of sound engines at the same time.

If only having one to three running at a time then you fine with the feeders and power.

Do the lights in the engines go on with DCC? Or is there no power to the tracks? Or to only some of them?

When you say DC does that mean disconnecting the DCC and hooking up a DC pack?

Ken G Price N-Scale out west. 1995-1996 or so! UP, SP, MoPac.
Pictures Of My Layout, http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss115/kengprice/

uscstaylor

When I have the DCC engine sitting on the tracks, I try to start the engine running and it doesn't do anything.
I have it set up for DCC when I try the engines equipped for DCC. I only have three engines setup up for DCC.
As soon as I switch over to DC the engines I have for DC work fine. It's weird cause I can't figure out why the engines won't run with the Bachman DCC Dynamis controller. The controller is set up and I get a steady green light which means according to the instructions that it's running properly.

I think the engines may need to be checked on another track with someone who knows more about DCC then me. I'm new to DCC and trains in general. I have watched a ton of videos on n scale trains in YouTube and have joined multiple forums.

Thanks Ken for replying

Mike C

Are the decoders set up to also run on DC ?  If so check that they run on DC . they should run just like the regular DC locos do .  If they run on DC but not on DCC then there is a problem with the DCC system . And if they don't run at all then it is a contact issue with the decoder .

kewatin

reading your post i see that you are set up for dcc but are running your locos on dc. you can't run 2 power systems at the same time unless you have an switch to isolate one system  ie dc from dcc.if not you will get a back feed.ask me how i know/ yrs back i had a new layout i built for dcc but had some dc locos. i forgot to shut down the dc power pack and sent a back feed to my nce powercab and it fried my power panel unit.lucky for me my cab controller wasn't plugged in.i ended up putting an off&on  switch with a power on light to switch from dc to dcc. also you ask about power feeds .i run mine every 3 ft.which is what the norm seems to be.although this isn't really required for smaller layouts.then again i use kato track.there is a well known e tailer in maryland whom uses just one feeder to run their layout using kato switches which are power routing.
perhaps you should try your locos on dc and if the run ,then remove the dc power supply feeds from your system and try the dcc power setup to see if any of your locos will run. you may also have to do a factory reset on each loco using cv-8 on your dcc system,remembering that each loco has to be done on a programming track. this a piece of track seperate or isolated from your layout.if you try to program on your main layout track you could end up with all your locos with the same address if they are on your layout.
if you still having issues ,there are many folks here on the forum who are more then willing to help.it looks like you are off to a good start ,part of any hobby is learning &trying different methods&ideas.i have been involved in this hobby for 50 yrs and am still learning and enjoying.
hope this helps you in the right direction.
regards&later KEWATIN

uscstaylor

Mike C no my decoded engines I have are only DCC. I have about 9 different Diesel engines and only three of them are setup for DCC.

Kewatin, I don't run DC and DCC at the same time. I think I'll try to reset the DCC decoded engines tomorrow to see if that does it. I've been watching the Bachman Dynamis videos on YouTube and the guy at the beginning of the video after he turns on the controller hits menu then the engine icon and then he hits the number 3 on the controller. Then he's is able to run the engine. I didn't do that so I'll try that tomorrow and and let ya know if that fixes it. Keep my fingers crossed too.

Is is possible to run DCC installed diesels on a DC track without hurting the decoder, I'm just curious. I haven't done that cause I don't want to damage my engine.

Mike C

Most of the DCC decoders are "dual mode" decoders , meaning that they will run on both DC and DCC .  So as long as you haven't programmed the decoders to run on DCC only they should run on DC  just fine .

Fred Klein

Hi,

One thing to keep in mind is that the default address for DCC locomotives from the factory is 3. That's why the guy in the video presses the number 3 at the start. By doing this, he is selecting locomotive address 3 for operation in DCC. As stated before, make sure you turn off/disconnect your DC power if you want to try out a DCC loco. Place only one DCC loco on the track and then proceed to select address 3. This assumes that you have not re-programmed the address to something else, otherwise select the address that you programmed into the unit. Now try to run the engine. Hope this helps.

Fred Klein
Okeechobee, FL
Fred Klein
Okeechobee, FL