News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Penn Central Flat Car 17326

Started by Kalama, June 02, 2016, 11:06:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kalama

I know that this car is used for many purposes, including as a container carrier.  I have just received an old 17326 set up as a container car with two containers with the logo "Go Gambles".  I have searched and searched to try and find anything about this but have come up with nothing.  I 'have' found out that the "Go Gambles" was a big marketing item for the Gambles Department Stores from about 1974-1976.  Is there anyone out there who can help me with this?  Is this an exceptionally rare item?  Unique? 

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

jbrock27

Are trying to ascertain its worth?
Keep Calm and Carry On

Len

Normally the 17326 PC flat came with 'Sea Land' containers, so what you have may is probably a promotional item of some sort. But...(always the but)...all of the Gambles Department store promotional toys I've found so far either just had "Gambles" or "Shop at Gambles" on a green bar on them. And the only thing on a flat car I've found was a "Gambles" tractor-trailer in an old K-Line O27 train set. Nothing with "Go Gambles", so it may not be related to the department store. It would help if you could post a picture of the containers to see if there are any other clues.

As for value, probably not much, since there were a lot of those flat cars produced. And 'Gambles' isn't exactly a collectable name.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Kalama

I am trying to respond to your posts with pictures, but I am having a heck of a time.  I finally found out that I needed a photobucket account.  I got that, upload some pictures to it, the downloaded them to my computer, but I can't, for the life of me figure out how to get them on the forum.  Everytime I click on "browse" below, I am linked to my computer.  When I try to upload them from my computer, it I get the message saying that doesn't work.

HELP!!

Thanks,

Wayne

P.S.  The post you responded to was my first on this forum, in fact, the day I posted it was the day I found this forum.  I am new to HO and Bachmann, so could use some, no, make that a lot, of help.

jbrock27

Are you trying to ascertain this car's worth?
Keep Calm and Carry On

Len

Instructions for posting pics from Photobucket are in the "General Questions" FAQ forum.

Len

Kalama

Len,
Thank you for your patience and your help.  Thanks for posting that tutorial.  I don't think I would have ever figured it out on my own.

Yes, jbrock 27, I am looking for value as I just came across this car and want to post it on ebay to see if there is any interest.

As I searched before my first post, I couldn't find anything with the 'Go Gambles' logo either.  I guess I just didn't look hard enough.  I even found another car just like mine.  I have a few pictures I would like to pass on to you guys.  The picture I took of my car is too big to post, but I got a picture of the one online that is just like mine. 

I also found some other "Go Gambles" collectables on line, some on ebay and some on other sites.  I will post some of the ones I found.  The other picture in this post is of the two trucks.  They sold for $40.00 for the pair.  

Here are a couple more that are interesting, the front a back of the Old Farmers Almanac from 1978.   

It seems that it was popular in the mid/late 70's. 

As to the 'interest' in Gambles memorabilia, (I know things posted don't mean things sold) there are 197 items now listed on ebay with the "Go Gambles" logo.

I will add another post right away with some more interesting items with "Go Gambles".

Thanks again for your help Len.  You are a life savior.

Wayne

P.S.  Sorry it took so long to respond, but life happens.

Kalama

Here are the other pictures:
A plate from Las Vegas

A belt Buckle

And a picture of the truck by itself.

Again, Len, it is a piece of cake if you know what you are doing.  Thanks for your help.

So if anyone out there, including Len or jbrock27 has any ideas, I am more than anxious to learn.  I am new to HO and Bachmann, so am open to information.

Wayne

jbrock27

Quote from: Kalama on June 07, 2016, 06:09:23 PM
Yes, jbrock 27, I am looking for value as I just came across this car and want to post it on ebay to see if there is any interest.

Wayne

Thought so. 

Sorry, can't help you there and am not sure anyone here is going to be able to give you a definitive answer.   The best answer you will likely get is "whatever someone is willing to pay for it."  This site is primarily established to sell current Bachmann products and to allow people to discuss model trains, not to assist Sellers with setting their prices, but best of luck to you.
Keep Calm and Carry On

Len

$40.00 for the trucks is too much. By itself the "Thunder Hauler" generally goes for around $15.00, and the GHQ 'tilt cabs' run $12.00 - $15.00. I don't see having "Go Gambles" on it would bring the price up much past that, except maybe for a hard core Gambles collector with more money than sense.

The flatcar and containers might bring $10.00 at at train show. Mainly for the novelty of not having the standard 'Sea Land' containers that normally came with it.

Len