What kind of non-conductive paint to match nickle silver rails?

Started by Flare, June 14, 2016, 01:07:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flare

I've made my own curved insulated gap E-Z track, but I want to silence the wheels as they pass over the gaps.

I bought some styrene 'beams' that are the same height as the rails, and I want to paint them to match.

The stores in my area have "Metalic Silver" Enamel paint that looks perfect for the job, but will it conduct electricity and negate the progress I've made or should I order something else online?

jbrock27

You have a picture of what you are doing/trying to do?
Keep Calm and Carry On

Flare

Not until I get home from work, perhaps I can explain it better in the meantime:

I cut out an eighth of an inch of rail in a few pieces of E-Z track to electrically isolate my reverse loops without using plastic joiners.

These gaps are large enough to prevent the rails from creeping back together and causing a short, but they're also quite audible when trains pass over them.

I have styrene strips that I can use to bridge the gaps for the wheels, but I don't want the paint to be electrically conductive.

jbrock27

Ahh, so you liked and took my suggestion ;)

Automotive paint, nail polish, cheap acrylic paint from Wal Mart or a craft store, paint pen... None to my knowledge, are conductive.  Don't know many paints that are, frankly.
Keep Calm and Carry On

rogertra

Any rail gap only needs to be as wide as the width of a X-Acto saw blade or the width of a Dremel Tool cutting disk.  Anything wider is way too wide.  If I read your post correctly, you cut 1/8" from the end of the rail?  That's way, way too wide a gap.  You should have cut the rail in or around the middle of a piece of set track so your rail joiners at all four ends still function correctly.

To made sure the gap doesn't close, could insert a piece of plastic (Plastruct for example) into the gap and carefully trim is to the shape of the rail using a sharp X-Acto knife and blade.  As you are using set track, put a little AC glue along the base of the rail for an inch or two either side of the saw cut that should hold the rails in place and prevent the gap from closing.

Cheers

Roger T

Flare

Well all the gaps are filled and painted now and they're much quieter.

Thanks.

jbrock27

Great!  Glad I could be of help :)

(Your a little late to this party Roger :D)
Keep Calm and Carry On