News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Rough track

Started by Grailms, June 12, 2016, 07:00:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ebtnut

Just for reference, I began my layout more than 25 years ago.  It is principally On3.  Back then, On3 flex track was somtimes hard to get and relatively expensive. Also, there were no pre-fab turnouts available at all.  All of the visible narrow gauge track is hand-laid.  The main line is Code 100, the sidings Code 83.  These work out to about 95 lb. rail and 65 lb. rail, respectively, in O scale.  For the turnouts, I bought HO point-frog kits, lengthend the closure rails and made new throw rods to widen the gauge.  The hidden track is flex. 

The connecting standard gauge line is all Atlas Code 148 flex which for me is OK becuase it represents a heavy-duy class 1 main line.  Weather up the ties and paint the rail sides and it is just fine to my eye. 

As I noted, Roger pretty well summarized the hand-lay process.  As for laying the ties, some folks pre-stain them before gluing down.  To me that was a bit of a pain, so I glued the raw ties down, let the glue set well, then brushed on a stain using thinned, alcohol-based leather dyes.  They dry quite quickly.  Then I used a long sanding block to dress the tops of the ties level, and touched up with a bit more stain.  Lay the rail, spread and glue in the ballast, and you're set. 

rogertra

Quote from: jbrock27 on June 15, 2016, 12:14:23 PM

Still waiting for Roger to confirm if he still does or not...

PS-I use and have no issue with Code 100.  I am just as certain, as I was about the number of hand laid trackers currently out there, that many other folks have no issue with utilizing Code 100 either ;)

This version of the GER I'm using code 83 and code 70 flex track.   Given my age, I thought flex track would be faster but on second thoughts, given how slow progress has been on this version, could have just as easily hand laid.

I haven't used code 100 rail in over 40 years as I think it looks and it is, out of scale.  I can always tell code 100 rail when looking at photos but that's just me and my preference.  Using code 100 is neither right, nor wrong.

Cheers

Roger T.