News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Mikado rocks on one driver wheel

Started by OlddManWithHO, May 16, 2021, 04:55:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OlddManWithHO

All,

Got a 2-8-2 Mikado and noticed it had a tendency to derail on curves.  Found that the loco rocks over the main driver.  It just doesnt sit flat on the track.  The outside drivers dont have springs pressing down.  Is this normal for this loco?

Roger

jonathan

Roger,

A mallet is sometimes called an 'articulated' loco--two set of drivers (think 2-6-6-2).  The newest Bachman 2-8-2 is based on the USRA Mikado.

If we're talking the USRA Mikado, derailing is usually caused by weight imbalance--needs more weight added to the smokebox area (dead space in there), to get the balance between the two middle sets of drives--makes a big difference if you can add an ounce of weight in that dead space up front.

Regards,

Jonathan

Addendum:  Also, make sure the pony (lead) truck is mounted right side up.  The pony truck on some Bachmann steamers have been known to be mounted upside down... easy to do by assemblers who don't know any better.  Just sayin'

OlddManWithHO

Jon,

You are right.  The loco is a Mikado.  Memory going big time.   Made approperate changes.

Smokbox is filled with added lead weight so that is done.  Will add frog snot to rear driver instead to bring it up rear a little.

Trouble area is my helix I have been working on.  adding another level as locos were having trouble climbing exisiting 2.4% grade.  Now grade is 2.23%. Using 11/16 plywood for ramp and it not the best.  A little warping and imperfect track work.  What I am going to do is lift up the outside edge of problem track with styrene strips so front driver wheel does not climb over rail.   Was surprised at how much the outside driver wheels did not ride the rails on flat surface.

Roger