News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann shells interchangeability

Started by ncrmartin, May 17, 2021, 02:08:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ncrmartin

Good afternoon all, 

I'm new to modeling so if this is a stupid question, be gentle.  I have a Bachmann Thoroughbred train set.  I bought it because it had a Norfolk Southern F7 DC and rolling stock. The F7 matches the period and railroad I'm modeling Fully intending to build the track and at some point go DCC. I have a small (ever expanding) setup.  I would like to buy more track and rolling stock.  I'm thinking of purchasing the  Bachmann Thunder Chief train set mainly for the track and DCC Controller, the DCC locomotive is a plus. The thunder chief set has a Santa Fe F7 DCC equipped locomotive  I don't really have a desire to run a west coast railroad on my layout but it's an economical way for me to buy new track and DCC over purchasing all separately.  I'd be happy as a pig in mud if I could buy this set and simply change the shells and get the Norfolk Southern DCC locomotive I really want.  Is this doable?

jward

You could do what you want but you'll learn alot more if you install the decoder yourself and use the money the set would cost to get a better DCC controller. The one in the set is extremely limited in what it can do. It is simply amazing what programming the decoder with a DCC system capable of doing so will do to smooth out the operation of your locomotive.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

ncrmartin

Thanks for the advice.  That's what I think I'll do.  I got to thinking too much I guess.