How to remove pilot of 2-10-2 n-scale locomotive to replace coupler?

Started by RGPerkins, June 16, 2016, 12:09:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RGPerkins

How can I remove the pilot coupler to replace it?
Thank you/

RGPerkins

Bachmann Service suggested I post on this forum to learn how to remove the pilot of their 2-10-2 locomotive so the pilot coupler could be replaced.
I was hoping someone would provide directions.
I have 4 of these locomotives. 
Thanks in advance.

Fred Klein

I don't own any of these steam locomotives so I can't provide a direct answer. However, have you tried spookshow's website at http://www.spookshow.net/trainstuff.html ? He is a wealth of information on many different types of locomotives and may have something that may help you. Hope this helps.

Fred Klein
Okeechobee, FL
Fred Klein
Okeechobee, FL

RGPerkins

Fred, I know Mark Peterson.  He has some photos and discussion of the locomotive, but does not explain how to remove
the pilot so a different coupler can be installed.
From his photos, it appears one have to remove the plate that holds the drivers and the also allows the pilot truck to come off.
With this done, a screw is revealed and I am assuming it holds the pilot in place.
Rather tricky for an old guy like me with big fingers.

Mike C

I'm pretty sure that the coupler is held on with a push-in type device .  You should be able to use a small screwdriver or a knife blade to pry it loose .  I can't see any reason why it would have been made so that the whole pilot has to come off .  Look at the exploded drawing here in the parts service and info section .

RGPerkins

Thank you for the suggestion of prying.
I have examined the parts drawing and it looks as if the pilot is attached with a screw.
I also looked at Mark Peterson's photo of the partially disassembled locomotive and they
reveal a screw attaches the pilot to the chassis.

It would be nice if a simple approach were possible.

Bachmann did offer to have someone call me if I simply provided them my telephone number.
I have not accepted that offer because of my schedule and concern I would not be
at home to take out a locomotive and follow them step by step.

spookshow

Roger, is your goal to remove the entire pilot or just the coupler? As Mike noted, all you have to do to remove the coupler is pry off the little press-fit crossmember that holds it in place. Once that's off, the coupler will slide forward out of its box.

Cheers,
-Mark

RGPerkins

Mark,
Thank you for your post with the photo.
My goal is to be able to replace the pilot coupler with
one that is smaller.
Previous to make this post, I looked at your information and viewed the photo you posted.

I am not certain what piece I need to pry to release to coupler.

As to an alternate coupler, I have used the McHenry coupler for tenders of all my 2-10-2s.
I have some MTL 905 z-scale couplers I would consider.
I would also opt for a MTL n-scale coupler.
Thanks again.

spookshow

The part to remove is the sort of T-shaped clip that sits over the coupler shank (as shown). It has two plastic posts that press-fit into round holes in the pilot (on either side of the coupler). It also has a center post that goes through the coupler assembly (thus holding it in place). Be careful when you're prying the posts out of the holes as the part has a tendancy to go flying once freed up (don't ask me how I know this, lol).

Note that it is not necessary to remove the pilot truck (or anything else). The clip is easily accessible as is.

Cheers,
-Mark

RGPerkins

Now I see the real challenge is replacing that piece!!

It is small and slippery. The space is also small.

I have a Gentle Grips from W/S; I had difficulty retaining a firm grip on the piece
so it could be positioned and pushed firmly into place with proper alignment.
I think I have it in place.

I need some different "forceps" or a hemostat clamp before I tackle replacing the pilot coupler of any more
of the locomotives.
I discovered the 905 would not fit without modifying the hole in the pilot. I found coupler in my inventory that fit nicely and was
smaller that the original pilot coupler.

spookshow

Well Roger, you know what they say - N scale isn't for sissies  :D

Cheers,
-Mark

RGPerkins

Yes, Mark.   It may not be for old guys with big fingers.
This is one of those projects for a neurosurgeon.   ;)

RGPerkins

Now that I have learned how to remove the piece that hold the pilot coupler in place,
I am dealing with the challenge of finding a tool/tweezers/forceps that will grip that
part firmly so it can be put back in place with the proper alignment.

The small plastic piece is quite "slippery" and thus difficult to grip firmly.

I would like suggestions for a good tool

Hunt

Quote from: RGPerkins on June 22, 2016, 07:54:07 AM
. . .
The small plastic piece is quite "slippery" and thus difficult to grip firmly.

I would like suggestions for a good tool

Click Here Magiclasp Forceps used with care.