News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Reveiws on locos

Started by Deland, July 02, 2016, 10:13:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deland

I'm looking to acquire a mid priced steam Loco. I like the looks of the 2-6-0 Mogul 51816 and the features. Does anyone have one or know of a review? I do have some grades but they are 2% leading to a short 3% and I'm thinking pulling power might be a bit weak but passable for a short consist.

Trainman203

What kind of train do you want to pull?  These engines didn't have the muscle that  modern engines do.  Trains were shorter and more frequent in steam days. I have about a 2 percent and my moguls have done 8 or 9 cars up it, but that's all I ever asked them to do, I'm a shortline.

Model Railroader magazine might have reviewed it a while back.  You'd have to be a subscriber to read it though.

Deland

I'm just looking to add steam to my roster. The FZC (Family Zoning Committee, AKA The QOV {Queen of Visa} AKA The Wife) likes the idea of a steamer. This looks like a good deal for sound/DCC in steam and wont run a ton or be needed to pull many cars. My vision is "The town time forgot", revitalized by a more modern business coming in. I'll probably use it as a local with a light mixed consist, probably a freight car, maybe a livestock car and a combine. maybe one or two others at most on occasion. my layout will be fairly small and will most likely have a continuous run with a short line attached.

Trainman203

The Social Secretary and Executive Overseer at my house thankfully allows the railroad to operate on its own terms.

The mogul should do everything you need.  I have two, they are pretty nice with adequate no frills onboard sound.

brokenrail

On a 2 percent grade mine would pull 2 cars and that was it. The Baldwin modern for small steam has much better build quality ,has a die cast metal boiler and cab that gives it some good weight and is available with sound also. If you like things that are built to last the long road this would be my recommendation .The mogul looks great ,but it is a whole different cheaper mechanisum under the boiler.
Johnny

Deland

Well I found the 51816 for $130 w/ sound/DCC so I ordered it. I'm just wanting to add steam for the FZC and QOV so it should be OK. My grades are just temp for now while I determine whether that's the way I want to run or if a different layout suits my style better.

rogertra

Quote from: Deland on July 04, 2016, 02:18:36 PM
Well I found the 51816 for $130 w/ sound/DCC so I ordered it. I'm just wanting to add steam for the FZC and QOV so it should be OK. My grades are just temp for now while I determine whether that's the way I want to run or if a different layout suits my style better.

Hint.   Using the inventory number/stock/part number means nothing to most of us.  For example, what is a "51816"?  Most of us haven't a clue.

It's best to describe the locomotive.  

For steam use the wheel arrangement:-  2-6-0, 2-8-0, 2-8-2, 4-8-2 for example.  

If it's a diesel, use the manufacturer's model designation:-  GP9, FA-2, GP40, RS-3 for example.

Using these, we all know what you mean and makes things much clearer and easier to answer your questions.  :)

If you're new and don't know how to describe a steam or diesel engine yet, use the description on the box or the advertisement, you can leave off the road name as that's usually not required.  :)

Cheers

Roger T.

Trainman203

I googled the catalog number and found it.

I have to restate my engines' pulling ability though, must have been thinking of another engine.  Last night I tried 9 cars up the 2 percent and it "almost" made it. ....... 7 would probably work, will test later and report.  

I don't think the prototype small moguls did any better.  We are all accustomed to mega trains today.  Steam era freights were very short compared to now.  A 50 car train would have been very long for an average 2-8-2, 25 to 30 more typical and that's in flat country.  

2-8-0s and smaller would pull accordingly less. On page 262 of the book MoPac Power, there's a picture of an MP spot class 2-8-0 that had to "double the hill" twice on a 2 percent, moving a 27 car train up in (3) nine-car cuts.  A little "different" railroading than today, and operationally very fun to do on a layout. You do need a siding or passing track at the top of the hill to put the waiting cars in.

I double my hill all the time, and every meet is a "saw-by."  All this takes time up and lengthens your train's running time between A and B.

ebtnut

One of the manufacturers selling points for diesels is that you can M.U. whatever horsepower you need to get the train over the road with only one crew and limiting or eliminating helper service. 

Trainman203

That was one of the three or 4 things that killed steam.

Deland

So this little Mogul showed up in my mailbox yesterday. I only had a few minutes to program and run it last night. This afternoon I had a bit more time to play with it. I'm pleasantly surprised at it's ability, considering the price. I found a deal for $130 which considering it's DCC/Sound equipped is a pretty fair deal. It isn't a highly detailed model but does look OK from that viewpoint. The coal load does look fake and there's few extras on it. It runs well starting at 1 on the speed setting of my Powercab. It's still a bit noisy but hasn't had enough run time to be broken in. It will climb my grade which is a 2ft 2% to a 6ft 3% to a total height of about 3-3 1/4 in. I also had 4 boxcars (40 ft) on it and it climbed it, so I slowed it down some. I kept slowing it down, at 3 it would still pull the 4 cars up and over the grades, although it did gradually slow, it never stalled. I didn't have the time to play with it much longer but I'm guessing I could probably pull 6-7 cars at medium speeds. For the price point I felt like it was a good deal. The sound is probably not prototypical but does add to the experience and does match speed fairly. So
Price point 9/10 for the options and shipping was free.
Power 7/10 may revise after broken in and used a bit more and I do think it will improve. It does only have 6 driven wheels.
Looks 5/10 Not a high end so I didn't expect it to be highly detailed
noise 4/10 not broken in
Sound 6/10 it was factory and works well just not sure of prototypical.

Overall I'm very satisfied with it at this price. I don't have any reference for long term on it yet but judging from other Bachmanns, I expect it to smooth out and quieten down some. I also have done absolutely no tuning on this loco just took it out of the box, checked it against the coupler on a box car, programmed the Long Address and started running it.

rogertra

Here's how I modified the front end of my two 2-6-0s.  I lowered and replaced the headlight with a larger one and moved the bell from its stock position to where the original small headlight was located on the top of the smokebox.   The headlights still light up as the light guide on the back of the headlights I used went through the smokebox door and lined up nicely with the Bachmann light guide.  Nice piece of luck.  : -

Cheers

Roger T.

brokenrail

Nice touch on those sun shades. Steady hands do well Roger T.
Inspiring ,Now I want one ;D
Johnny