News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Ez Command DCC

Started by cdat1963, June 25, 2016, 05:27:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cdat1963

I have a double track oval with a crossover. I am not really the best at wiring, wondering how difficult it will be to use Ez Command to run two tracks? Do I need one for each separate track? Anyone know or know where to get instructions simple enough to let a rookie like me do it?
  Thanks in advance

jward

you'd only need one dcc command station such as ez command.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

cdat1963

I forgot to say that it is blocked at the crossover and I am using two power packs, will I still only need one?

Flare

Assuming your layout looks something like this:

Using a single DCC controller will eliminate the need for block control.  Connect all the power feeders to the same DCC track output and it will work.

cdat1963

jward

or.....

leave the block control wiring in place and connect the ez command in place of one of the power packs, assuming you are using true block control. this would have the advantage of allowing you to use the block switches to turn off one of the tracks when not in use. ez command has very limited current capacity, and dcc locomotives draw current from the system even when not running. the ability to turn off power to one or more of the locomotives lessens the load on the system, which is particularly useful when running high current draw locomotives (such as ones with a sound decoder) on a system of such limited capacity.

if you have each power pack connected directly to a separate track without block control switches, you will have to connect each loop separately to the ez command.

Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Flare

Quote from: jward on June 26, 2016, 09:31:20 PM
or.....

leave the block control wiring in place and connect the ez command in place of one of the power packs, assuming you are using true block control. this would have the advantage of allowing you to use the block switches to turn off one of the tracks when not in use. ez command has very limited current capacity, and dcc locomotives draw current from the system even when not running. the ability to turn off power to one or more of the locomotives lessens the load on the system, which is particularly useful when running high current draw locomotives (such as ones with a sound decoder) on a system of such limited capacity.

if you have each power pack connected directly to a separate track without block control switches, you will have to connect each loop separately to the ez command.

I had a feeling you'd say something like that...

As I said, DCC eliminates the NEED for block control, but some still prefer it.

If you're using DCC to simplify control, Bachmann does make a booster in case you find yourself needing more power;  Though with your layout I doubt you'll have more than two trains at a time?

I can run two non-sound trains on my layout just fine without a booster.