News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Favorite Train?

Started by CPRailHelmet, June 29, 2016, 07:41:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CPRailHelmet

Hello, I'm new to the Bachmann train forums, What are your favorite Locomotives? Mine is the F40PH, or the SD40-2. EDIT: Actual trains.

Flare

My favorite locos are "cute" 4-wheel steamers like the Antelope and Western #1 and ERM&L "Falk" #1.

Piyer

On the diesel side of thing: ALCO's PA/PB diesels, EMD's GP30 and BL2, and GE's stream-styled industrial switchers that they built for Ford Motors.

Electrics: the Pennsylvania Railroad's GG-1

Steam: on the "modern" end of things, I am a fan of the streamlined or stream-styled locomotives that railroads turned to to promote their passenger service and make it seem modern and chic. I am an even bigger fan of early steam locomotives from before 1860. Diminutive little 0-4-0 / 2-4-0 / 2-2-0 / etc. engines that looked more like Rube Goldberg devices than "iron horses" or serious means of transportation.
~AJ Kleipass~
Proto-freelance modeling the Tri-State System c.1942
The layout is based upon the operations of the Delaware Valley Railway,
the New York, Susquehanna & Western, the Wilkes-Barre & Eastern,
the Middletown & Unionville, and the New York, Ontario & Western.

jbrock27

F7A, GP7, GP9, SD9 & SW7
Keep Calm and Carry On

RAM

Just about any steam locomotive.  I Really liked Santa Fe's big three.  3400 class 4-6-4, 4-8-4s  and the 2-10-4s as well as the 1000 & 1100 class 2-6-2s.  Sorry to say that I never got to see the 2-10-4s in action. 

Len

My favorites:

Steam - New Haven 4-6-4 Class I-5:

Diesel - New Haven Class Der-1a/b/c DL-109:

Electric - New Haven 2-C+C-2 Class EP-3 "Flatbottom", aka 'The GG-1's Daddy':

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

jward

emd sd45and its derivatives, and the emd sd80mac. love to hear those 20 cylinder emd engines rumble.

Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

on30gn15

Quote from: CPRailHelmet on June 29, 2016, 07:41:02 PM
What are your favorite Locomotives?
Rather than a specific manufacturer and type, call it ones which are attractive, interesting, quirky. Though there are both standard gauge mainline locomotives and smaller locomotives in that category, there is a slight favoritism toward small industrial and narrow gauge locomotives, including steam, fireless, diesel, gasoline, electric.
When all esle fials, go run trains
Screw the Rivets, I'm building for Atmosphere!
later, Forrest

James in FL

Favorite is, with me, plural (favorites).
Too many to only pick one.
I love all.
My favorite is usually the one(s) I am running at the time.
Steam - Norfolk Western J class 4-8-4

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N%26W_J_class_(1941)

Diesel -Alco RS-3, early GP's, SD-40, don't know why, but I also like the very modern GE ES44AC-H NS heritage units, but have only a few cars to pull behind it.

Electric - I have both a Kato "Nozomi" 700 and a TGV.
Love them.

Are we speaking of lokies we own or just in general?

Trainman203

Missouri Pacific steam engines, after 1910. 

Desertdweller

I like the steam-powered winch on the "Fale" locomotive.  It would be handy for rerailing, or for moving cars on a parallel track without poling.

Steam locomotives: CB&Q class O5 4-8-4 and CB&Q class S4 4-6-4, and Milwaukee class F7 4-6-4.

Diesel locomotives: EMD E units; Alco PA units.  FM H-12-44s.  For models to operate.
EMD F units; Alco FA units for railfanning.
GE U23B; Dash 9 44 CW; ES 44 AC; EMD GP 9; SD 9; GP 30; SD 40-2 to operate.

Electric locomotives: MILW Bipolars; Little Joes.

I have been a railroader for 26 years, a locomotive engineer for 16 years, and a model railroader for 48 years.

Les

'

jward

les,
of the models you mentioned, which were the nicest to actually run in real life?

Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Desertdweller

jward,

I liked running the GE units best.  The 4 cycle engines ran slower than the 2 cycle EMDs.  They were slower to load and had a more relaxed chugging sound.  The Dash 9s and the ES units had sound insulated cabs, making them less stressful. (Sound is a stressor, especially after 10 or more hours.)  The GEs also made more interesting sounds when starting.

The GP9 was a good unit to switch with.  It loaded quickly, and some had a switch that could be set for "switching service" (load quickly) or "road service" (loaded slower, but less apt to slip).

The non-turbo EMD units (GP9, SD9) worked better at sustained low-speed drag operation than the turbo EMD units.  They were also less likely to catch fire.  For such a large unit, the SD9s had a surprisingly cramped cab.

The GP30s were pretty good all around units.  I even ran some with type B road trucks off scrapped FAs.  Some had been downrated by having the turbos removed for sustained low speed operation. (Making them GP28s?)

I've run SD40s, including the ex-demonstrators, but liked the SD40-2s better.  They have big, comfortable cabs and big end "porches".  Their modular solid-state electrical components were more dependable than the old hard-wired ones of their predecessors.

The modern EMD and GE units with "fly by wire" controls were nicest to run.  I liked the desktop style controls better than the side console controls.  A lot of engineers preferred the latter.  The first time I ran one I had the feeling I was flying the Starship Enterprise.

Les

'

K487

Favorite Engine?   SD40-2 (by a big margin)

K487