News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

USRA 2-8-2 Mikado Sound Value

Started by jonathan, July 04, 2016, 09:43:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonathan

OK, rerailers added.  This time, they are really done... 'nuff said.

Regards,

Jonathan

Trainman203

Is it my imagination?  Or is the pilot really, really high off the rail?

Very nice weathering job.

jonathan

Thank you very much.

The locomotive is sitting on a curve.  Causing the pilot to look a bit high.  It's an unintentional illusion.

Regards,

Jonathan

jonathan

Update on my Sound value Mikados:

I found a brass Hodges trailing truck, which is correct for the B&O version of the USRA Mikado (Q-3).

It was pricey ($39).  Must be gold, man.

Spent a great deal of time fitting this part to the 2-8-2.  Had to file away at the brass, and had to move some piping around on the locomotive:

Also, the solder joints were broken... had to fix that.  Additionally, I shaped some lead and added it to the bottom of the support bracket:

Because of the brass construction, I put a fiber washer above the mounting hole and between the mounting screw and the truck.  Don't know if shorting might be an issue, but better safe than sorry.

Here's what the loco looks like now:

While I had the thing apart, I filled up the coal bunker, for looks and to add a little weight for tracking:

This seems like the project that never ends.  :) The trailing truck is supposed to have 44" spoked wheels.  The search continues...

Regards,

Jonathan

ebtnut

Hey Jonathon - I scored a Rivarossi Big Six at the show, and found an IHC heavy 2-10-2 on evil-bay.  Have you done/considered mating the Rivarossi shell to the IHC mech?  If so, any guidance/pitfalls I should look for?  I've gotten the boilers off both, but haven't yet begun work on the mechanism(s).  My hope is to take the cylinder block and valve gear set off the Rivarossi and mount it on the IHC.  I thought about keeping the IHC as is, but the crossheads are wrong and that bothers me.  I plan to swap out the tender trucks and replace the wheelset in the trailing truck so as to have all NMRA wheels. 

jonathan

ebtnut,

The short answer is no, I have not taken on that project.  However, I have seen the successful results of others. All I know is the IHC mechanism very solid and reliable. 

I have considered this project, but I never found both locos for reasonable prices.  I think the dealers are aware of what can be done by marrying these to locos.  So... they price the locos accordingly. The Rivarossi version has been around almost as long as I have, yet still demands top dollar.

One would think a manufacturer would figure out the high demand for this locomotive and tool up a new one.

I have a brass version of this loco. Hardly ever pull it out of its stall.  For what I paid for it, I'm afraid to get any dust or dirt on it... a shame really.

Regards,

Jonathan

West Bound

KUDOS Jonathan for your article in the the latest issue of B&O Historical Society's Modeler Magazine showing your upgrades to the 2-8-2 B&O.

jonathan

https://www.borhs.org/modelermag/Modeler-43-201703.pdf

Thank you, sir!

It was a fun project. These upgrade projects are one of my favorite things to do in the hobby.  It's also great there are outlets to share, like here and a nice e'zine.

Next project is upgrading the Bachmann F7A and F7B DCC Ready Diesels.  I've read they are great pullers... just need some details (and a decoder) to make them stand out.

Regards,

Jonathan

Addendum:

This mag (link above) also had some good things to say about the Bachmann USRA Mikado AND the Bachmann USRA Pacific, in case anyone is curious.  :)