Model Railroad Season Down South

Started by Trainman203, July 06, 2016, 07:24:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAM

trainman I hope the flood didn't get you again..

OERM306

What does it take to melt a Bachmann train?  Today it was 90 degrees.  There's a tropical storm on the map, and Christmas is exactly 4 months away.  Santa will probably be wearing shorts this year and I want him to bring me a train.

Trainman203

The flood was across the lake and upriver in the poorly drained piney woods Florida Parishes, not here outside NO.

90 degrees is a cool summer day here.  I'm enjoying model railroad season down South.  Got a couple of guys coming over in an hour to run the branch with me.

RAM

Trainman203

Well here's  the latest.  It's only good for Sunday August 28. Not a big storm yet but will get some what bigger before it hits land.  

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/gtwo.php?basin=atlc&fdays=5

Probably going for Panama City but close enough to make us sweat a little in SE Louisiana .  If it goes east of here we''ll be on the dry west side and have beautiful weather for a few days.

Leaving the low end summer cars on the layout for now.  Not packing up yet and probably won't.

I'd still rather have this than a Northern winter.  I don't even have a overcoat. A heavy shirt with a sweater is all you ever need for winter at 30x90.

OERM306

Train Dude?  No overcoat, probably no snowplow for one of the engines?

jbrock27

Quote from: Trainman203 on August 28, 2016, 01:19:01 PM
I'd still rather have this than a Northern winter.

"Northern winter"?  What is that, LOL!

I'd rather have some diversity, as in seasons among other things...
Keep Calm and Carry On

Trainman203

Snowplows on my engines?????!!!!!HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!  I've lived on the Gulf Coast all my life and that's all I've ever modeled.  There's no serious snow until up in Arkansas .

I have 4 or 5 Bachmann "Richmond" 4-4-0's that came with snowplow pilots that did not last last 2 minutes out of the box.

In the run-through diesel era, snowplow pilots were on many units down here though.

However.  My railroad is "certified NDA!"  No diesels allowed !!!!! :o :D

Trainman203

Brock, to me a northern winter is snowbound cold and dark.  I spent one in Massachusetts and two in NYC.  That's what they were.  They were interminable too. I remember the first warm day in spring, people went nuts getting outside.

We don't do that down here.

The winters down here are sunny and usually 50 and above.  Most trees don't lose their leaves, they turn brown and fall off when spring budding starts in February.  It's our get outdoors season.  This may not be for everyone but boy is it ever for me.  I plan on never seeing snow again.

Right now we are in model railroad season.  The Bach Man has not deleted me yet.  It's way too hot to do much outside.  But in the AC inside, I'm about to take a steam powered mixed train out of town.

Jerrys HO

Quote from: Trainman203 on August 28, 2016, 07:28:26 PM
 The Bach Man has not deleted me yet.  It's way too hot to do much outside.

Why would they? They haven't did it to Brock yet  ;D

IDK T203, The summers are really getting unbearable. When I visit my daughter up north sometimes I wish I would have packed my belongings  :o

jbrock27

Brock, to me a northern winter is snowbound cold

Flory, must not be aware of the winter we had last year.

...and dark.  We don't do that down here.

What, you don't practice daylight savings time in LA?

I know all the rest, don't need to repeat it, I read it all the first time you posted about it.

...a northern winter is snowbound cold and dark.  I spent one in Massachusetts and two in NYC.

And how many decades ago was that?

Quote from: Jerrys HO on August 29, 2016, 08:28:38 AM
  The Bach Man has not deleted me

They haven't did it to Brock yet  ;D

What reason would there be for me to be 'deleted' Jerry?  And why would you even say or suggest that ??? ::)  And I think you mean "done" not "did".  Another plus of being up norf... ;)
Keep Calm and Carry On

Trainman203

Brock, they tried year-round Daylight Saving Time one winter and everyone except me hated it, it was never done again. It was in the 70s I think, have to look it up.

But Daylight Savings Time haint got nuttin, as we say down here, to do with length of daylight per day, latitude determines that.  We have 10 hr 13 min  of sunshine on the shortest day of the year, the winter solstice.  Sunrise at 6:52, sunset at 5:05.

http://www.timeanddate.com/sun/usa/new-orleans?month=12&year=2016

How much you got ?  Find your city on that site via the "world clock."

10 hr 13 min of sun between 40 and 65 deg,   You'd have to live in Florida or South Texas to beat that.

jbrock27

Quote from: Trainman203 on August 29, 2016, 06:02:25 PM
Daylight Savings Time haint got nuttin, as we say down here, to do with length of daylight per day, latitude determines that.

I get that, but to say DST has no influence on daylight is incorrect.

http://www.timeanddate.com/sun/usa/new-orleans?month=12&year=2016

How much you got ?  Find your city on that site via the "world clock."

10 hr 13 min of sun between 40 and 65 deg,   You'd have to live in Florida or South Texas to beat that.

I did thanks and also found this to be incorrect.  Right now, using the site you provided, where I am, we have more daylight hours right now than you ;)

Brock, they tried year-round Daylight Saving Time one winter and everyone except me hated it, it was never done again. It was in the 70s I think, have to look it up.

Really?  Not that you shouldn't know what goes on in your state or parish, but you are on schedule to change your clocks back 1 hour on 11/6/16 :D  (again, using that handy site you provided)

Keep Calm and Carry On

Trainman203

Wintertime daylight hours, Brock, wintertime. That's the only time it matters.  We have more wintertime sun than most in the country.  You have more than 10 hr. 13 min of sun on Dec 21?  Your latitude has to be below 30 deg.

You appear to be talking about yearly daylight hour totals. I don't care about the summer sun being up till 10 or 11 at night or later, I'd like to go to sleep when it's dark .  Gotta be hard to put kids to bed when the sun hasn't gone down at 10 or 11. We have more than enough sun in the summer, at right around 14 hr.  Any more and the high  temp would always be 110 instead of 95.

Again, daylight savings time does  not affect the length of the day, it only moves sunrise and sunset one hour ahead.

Whooooooh.......... Man ...... Jousting with Brock is wearing me out.  Gotta go lay down awhile so I can get to some strenuous model railroading later.

OERM306

Ah!  Summer in the south when tropical storms bloom and the city passes out sand bags to protect houses and businesses!  When the Bachmann boys put on rubber boots to try underwater trains.  😱