Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

2016 NMRA Train show

Started by Thomasfan39, July 07, 2016, 04:47:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrainFan97

Quote from: HLC Railroad on July 13, 2016, 06:22:23 PM
Quote from: TrainFan97 on July 13, 2016, 04:44:10 PM
Oliver and G scale Winston weren't at the show. Those were announced last year, yet they were able to give out the estimated release timings for the products that were announced this year.

Who knows? Maybe Oliver will get released out of the blue like Toad.

I have to agree with you there. It's really the most logical solution at this point. I doubt that they would put new characters before the old. Besides since Toad is Oliver's brakevan it could be a hint as to what Oliver will be like. Hopefully they haven't fallen under the same fate as the redesigned James... They just weren't sent to the plant in time for production until I think 2017.

I doubt that, because unlike James, Oliver is an engine that hasn't been released yet. Completely new.
My wishlist for HO Scale: Stepney, BoCo, Sidney, Fernando, Mainland Diesels, Norman, Porter, Samson, Timothy, Whiff, Hiro, Winston, and Green Salty.
My wishlist for N Scale: Henry, Edward, Spencer, Flying Scotsman, Duck, Oliver, Mavis, Sidney, 'Arry and Bert.

Captain Crutch

Well it looks like Oliver is just gonna pop out the blue. I can't think of anything else. Other then them just forgetting about him. But I highly doubt they'd do that.
Formerly HLC Railroad, but now I'm back and better than ever!

Shawn

Bachmann obviously has a process.  It's nothing personal against the fans that Oliver isn't released yet.  Allow me to speculate about what goes into making a Thomas model.

1-Some suits around a table come up with some products they'd like to introduce.
2-They get a license from the rights holders, (who probably had a say in who was picked)
3-They go into the design stage.  Blueprints, C.A.D. and the like.
4The designers run it by some suits, who run it by Mattel.
5-It goes through a second draft
6-Repeat step 4
7-One the design is decided on, they prototype it. First, second, third, fourth.
8-Once the long process of prototyping is complete, they will do an engineering sample, to test out the manufacturing process.
9-Along the way, they have to get approval after approval from HiT and Bachmann executives.  They even have to get FCC approval, that it will not interfere with radios ETC.
10-They have to design an insert for the packaging.
11- They have to send instructions to the factory in China, manufacture one, send it to PA, have it approved by all the people, take a picture, and giv the ok to produce more.
12-The factory has to make a batch, test, quality control, package, pick and pack, stick in container, ship it to PA.
13-They then distribute it to stores for us to buy.

It is not a wham-bam-thank-you-mam process. It takes a tonne of hard work and time.  I doubt they are standing around. That is also why they have to be choosy about what products get produced.

It's probably astronomically expensive too.

I'm done hearing complaints about how long it is taking. Seriously.

Captain Crutch

Quote from: Shawn on July 15, 2016, 03:41:37 AM
Bachmann obviously has a process.  It's nothing personal against the fans that Oliver isn't released yet.  Allow me to speculate about what goes into making a Thomas model.

1-Some suits around a table come up with some products they'd like to introduce.
2-They get a license from the rights holders, (who probably had a say in who was picked)
3-They go into the design stage.  Blueprints, C.A.D. and the like.
4The designers run it by some suits, who run it by Mattel.
5-It goes through a second draft
6-Repeat step 4
7-One the design is decided on, they prototype it. First, second, third, fourth.
8-Once the long process of prototyping is complete, they will do an engineering sample, to test out the manufacturing process.
9-Along the way, they have to get approval after approval from HiT and Bachmann executives.  They even have to get FCC approval, that it will not interfere with radios ETC.
10-They have to design an insert for the packaging.
11- They have to send instructions to the factory in China, manufacture one, send it to PA, have it approved by all the people, take a picture, and giv the ok to produce more.
12-The factory has to make a batch, test, quality control, package, pick and pack, stick in container, ship it to PA.
13-They then distribute it to stores for us to buy.

It is not a wham-bam-thank-you-mam process. It takes a tonne of hard work and time.  I doubt they are standing around. That is also why they have to be choosy about what products get produced.

It's probably astronomically expensive too.

I'm done hearing complaints about how long it is taking. Seriously.

Yes granted that's true it still doesn't make sense that a product that was announced this year is coming out before a product announced over a year. We never said it was a simple process just that Oliver should take priority over other things because he was announced over a year ago yet things that were announced only a few months ago are being released. We're also trying to figure out why this is the case. Again, we never said it was a simple process or it should've been released very shortly after announcement just that he should be out before products that were only announced a few months ago. We understand the process just not why he's not taking priority over others because if he did take priority he would be released before Rosie and such. We never said it was a quick and simple process just that he should take priority and we're trying to figure out why we have release dates for things that are coming out soon but no more than a price for Oliver.

sodorlad

I can't help but think all the speculation would end if Bachmann just made a statement on the matter. At the very least it's good customer service.

EDIT: It is worth nothing that Bachmann are manufacturing USA dock tank engines (Rosie's prototype) and these are selling exclusively(?)  through Model Rail magazine. I imagine that given Toad was recycled tooling, Rosie will use elements of the dock tank.. This may explain why she's arriving sooner.
Botheration...

Captain Crutch

Quote from: sodorlad on July 16, 2016, 04:31:47 AM
I can't help but think all the speculation would end if Bachmann just made a statement on the matter. At the very least it's good customer service.

EDIT: It is worth nothing that Bachmann are manufacturing USA dock tank engines (Rosie's prototype) and these are selling exclusively(?)  through Model Rail magazine. I imagine that given Toad was recycled tooling, Rosie will use elements of the dock tank.. This may explain why she's arriving sooner.
Well for a period of time Bachmann made 14xxs. Granted they were large scale but still. And besides when it comes to engines they especially like atleast make it as close to the TV engine as possible. It's very rare they ever use an existing model for the T&F line. They only did with the narrow gauge cars and Toad because they're very nearly exactly the same. It's Hornby's job to take an existing model and stick a face on it. Bachmann likes to do things properly. That's what I like about Bachmann, they're not lazy.

Captain Crutch

I have a list of official differences between the real thing and the tv model.

Rosie has both her whistle and connecting rods in different positions compared to her prototype:

Rosie's whistle is positioned behind her rear dome whilst her prototype has its whistle positioned on the right side of the middle dome.

Rosie's connecting rods are attached to her middle driving wheels whereas her prototype has its connecting rods attached to the rear driving wheels.

Her funnel is also taller than her basis.

I also think that her boiler is larger and there is a plate right in front of the smoke box that wouldn't be on Rosie. I also see the the cap above her cab is taller than the real thing. I would post pictures but they're too large. Anyways this means that Bachmann would pretty much have to remold most of her so the likely hood she would take less time than Oliver due to the fact she has her basis made by Bachmann is very slim. Oh and like I said Bachmann is not like Hornby who stick a face on an existing train and call it Edward. This is why I think they're just gonna pull the same thing they did with toad and just pull him out of the blue in that are "green for glory" as Mr. Stone once said. I hope this helps you realize how different companies can be and also how much work goes into a single Bachmann engine even if there is a very similar engine already being made.

TTTEfan1992

Wait! What?! Bachmann Rosie is already revealed?

Captain Crutch

Quote from: TTTEfan1992 on July 16, 2016, 12:47:01 PM
Wait! What?! Bachmann Rosie is already revealed?
Announced. But Bachmann makes the engine that she's based off.

Titanic5972

Quote from: sodorlad on July 16, 2016, 04:31:47 AM

EDIT: It is worth nothing that Bachmann are manufacturing USA dock tank engines (Rosie's prototype) and these are selling exclusively(?)  through Model Rail magazine. I imagine that given Toad was recycled tooling, Rosie will use elements of the dock tank.. This may explain why she's arriving sooner.

Sorry but I have to correct you on that one. Bachman are not making the USA tanks and selling them exclusively through Model Rail magazine. Model Rail magazine had commissioned Bachmann to make the models for them. Bachmann will not sell any. They are only producing the model for Model Rail magazine. It will be Model Rail magazines own loco and tooling, just as they did previously with the Sentinel shutters, produced for them by Dapol.