News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Truck falls apart

Started by Fire21, July 08, 2016, 06:43:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fire21

I have a new (barely run) Bachmann N-scale 4-6-0 (tim 51452) that I bought in January.  Every time I pick it up, the axles and contacts fall out of the rear truck on the tender.  I can tell by looking that the frame is spread a bit too far to retain the axles.  How can I fix this, or obtain a new truck?

Fred Klein

I have one of these units and had the same problem also. On mine, only the rear truck on the tender kept falling apart. Since I had mine for a while and had made modifications to it, I decided to order a replacement truck from Bachmann parts. The new truck works perfectly. Hope this helps.

Fred Klein
Okeechobee, FL

gatrhumpy

You can order a replacement set of trucks from Bachmann.

Maletrain

That was a quality control isue from Bachmann.  That model is the first n-scale loco I ever bought, and my rear truck did the same thing.  Fortunately, I bought if from a LHS, so I took it back, and the owner took out another one and tested it.  Exact same result, the BACK truck fell appart. So, he took out a third one, with the same result, AGAIN, the BACK truck.  So, he took a front truck off one of those locos and used it to replace the back truck on the one he sold me.  It has been running great for 3 years, now. 

Those tendeer trucks are use by lots of people to upgrade tenders on other makes of locos so that they have low-friction, all-wheel pickup.  So, they tend to sell-out in the Bachmann parts department.  However, I just checked and they are in-stock at the moment for $8.40 + shipping.  so, call Bachmann and see if they will send you another truck for free, since it is their error, and is well known.  But, if they won't, buy one of the parts site, before they are out-of-stock, again.  Basically, they are excellent trucks when made right.

RGW

I do not have the 4-6-0,but I use the spectrum tenders for many projects as mentioned. If they are sold out and  If the 4-6-0 uses the standard spectrum long tab trucks you could buy the whole tender off the bay and have 2 trucks.  There is a Bachmann retailer that seems to have a lot of NEW spectrum tenders for sale on the bay.

Do not know if I can say the name.