News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

curves

Started by tang136, November 24, 2007, 08:01:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tang136

I am new to this.  I would like to set up a track around my ceiling.  The only problem is I don't know the curve dia. for a G gauge train.  can somebody help me with this small problem.

r.cprmier

Several good books on the subject.  research!  Read and apply; the best teacher.

Rich
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

Jim Banner

Some G-scale trains will manage 4 foot diameter curves.  Others require a minimum of 5 foot diameter.  Making your curves larger than the minimum will help keep your trains on the tracks.  Needless to say, this reliability is much more important on an elevated layout than it would be on a floor level one.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Paul W.

Welcome to our hobby!
There are a number of different size curves, and alot of minimum curves that different loco's can take.
The largest possible curve you can fit will allow you to run larger trains. If you use the stock Bachmann track, you can run the Porters, Annies, the two truck Shay, etc. But if you want to run the 2-8-0, 2-6-0, or the new K, they won't be able to make the corners on B-mann track.
We have a suspended system, and I used the stock Bachmann track (as it's for inside use only), but this does limit me to what loco's can make the corners. I couldn't even think of trying a K up there!

Good luck
Happy Steamin'

Paul