News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Union Pacific 4-8-4 problem

Started by Hoople, November 25, 2007, 12:55:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hoople

My friend recently bought the Union Pacific 4-8-4 from the Overland Limited I believe, basically the NYC niagra in UP paint, and the instant he brought it over, we found a major issue. It wouldn't run around the curves without jerking. On my 22" radius curves, it would jerk, jerk, and wobble until the front driver would come loose, it would double in speed, then hit a turnout causing a short becuase the lead driver was off and hit the opposite polarity rail. Seeing as this is a trainset locomotive, I'm astonished it performs this badly. I checked for side play in the drivewheels, and there was harldy any.

Is this a typical problem? How can it be fixed?

Thanks in advance.

Mark
-Hoople-

Modeling UP, SP, and D&RGW in colorado between 1930 and 1960.

GIVE US HARRIMAN STEAMERS BACHMANN!

SteamGene

Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

lanny

Hoople,

If everything else is working okay, wheels are clean and it is properly lubed, you may need to go to a wider radius than 22" in order for it to run well. I have 32-36" + radius and one BLI 4-8-4 would not track well even on that radius.

Just a 'guess' on my part. Best wishes on getting it to run okay on your layout.

lanny
ICRR Steam & "Green Diamond" era modeler

Hoople

Quote from: SteamGene on November 25, 2007, 09:00:40 AM
Any idea as to the age? 
Gene

I don't know. I didn't get the chance to go inside of it.

Lanny, this is a trainset engine, far from those BLI 4-8-4s which also should work on 22" radius also. I compared it to my bachmann GS-4, and the GS-4 had 5-6 times more side play than the Niagra/FEF, yet it's basically the same drivers.
-Hoople-

Modeling UP, SP, and D&RGW in colorado between 1930 and 1960.

GIVE US HARRIMAN STEAMERS BACHMANN!