Bachmann Plus Consolidation - A Good Candidate For DCC?

Started by Ckrails, July 14, 2016, 10:56:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ckrails

A box of oldies but goodies arrived today and one of them turned out to be a Bachmann Plus consolidation from the 90's.  It's in excellent condition and I would like to add a decoder.  Will the original motor work well with a decoder or does it need a new motor?  Has anyone here done such a conversion?

Ckrails

Also, does anyone havs a user manual (not just the parts list) for this or similar Bachmann Plus locos?  Bachmann customer service was able to send me a page on lubricating the model, but I would like something more complete.  Thanks!

jonathan

Ck,

There is no user manual.  Model trains tend not to come with lengthy instructions, unless some assembly is required when new.

What you have, as you said, is pretty old.  I'm afraid you'll just have to dig into the model and see if there is a way to add a decoder.

As with everything, with enough work, adding dcc is possible.  The question:  Is it worth it?

Regards,

Jonathan

Ckrails

Thanks guys.  It is solidly DC, no thought of the future of digital control went into the design of this puppy.  However, it is the closest representation of a consolidation I've found to prototype on the railroad I model, so I plan to give it a go.  I've already pulled off the shell, and although I'm no Macguyver I think I can make it work.

jward

Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Ckrails

No, it is completely enclosed in a white plastic case and about the size of a stack of 4 or 5 quarters, standing on its edge.  You can remove the motor springs and brushes, which are both on the same side.  I'll see if I can post a photo.

Len

"Split frame" refers to the chassis the motor is mounted in, not the motor itself. And from the pic you posted this is a split frame loco with a "pancake" motor. It's possible to replace the 'pancake' motor with a motor out of an old compter CD drive. One article on how to do this to a Bachmann 2-8-0 can be found over on the Tyco forum at: http://www.tycoforums.com/tyco/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=15592

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Ckrails

What is the concern with the original motor?  Does it draw too much amperage, or does it not do well at very slow speeds?

jbrock27

Keep Calm and Carry On

Len

And converting a 'pancake' to DCC is pretty much a waste of time. For practical purposes, they pretty much have two speeds, 'OFF' and 'WARP-9'. There's not a lot inbetween.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Ckrails

Well, I must say that I'm glad I asked.  Looks like this one will remain in the "shed", only to emerge when the new diesels are in for servicing.  Heck, for the most part that's what the real loco did on the prototype during the time period I am modelling anyway... :)

Thanks everyone!

jbrock27

Quote from: Ckrails on July 18, 2016, 04:17:14 PM
Well, I must say that I'm glad I asked.

Thanks everyone!

Agree, you were smart to ask and even smarter to listen!  You are welcome.  Thank YOU for taking the time to acknowledge being helped; one thing that is extremely disappointing around here, is never hearing any final word (or thanks for that matter) from folks that post here looking for help and advice.  In my view, most posters (but certainly not all) fall into that category.  It serves to show a certain disingenuous nature of the majority who come here looking for help and just as important, does not provide any follow up info to determine if advice given was sound and worked to resolve an issue.

Keep up the good work :)
Keep Calm and Carry On