News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

E-Z Command Voltage

Started by JGB1977, January 07, 2015, 08:43:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JGB1977

I purchased an E-Z Command unit from the US and did not take note of the voltage on the transformer being 110V, we have 220 volt in South Africa.

The unit started smoking, after which I immediately switched it off.

I would assume that the units is fried? Would there be any damage to the loco that I was trying to test?

Regards,
Justin

Doneldon

Justin-

I'm at a bit of a loss as to how you got this connected in the first place. 110v plugs use flat blade connectors but
220v plugs are round to prevent just such a mishap. And was it the power supply or the EZCommand which was
smoking and possibly damaged?

I suspect it's difficult to find a 110v to 220v converter in South Africa but you might be able to reverse engineer one
from a 220v to 110v converter.

Your power supply and/or EZC may not be fried if you got it/them disconnected quickly enough. It's unlikely that your
loco was damaged, for whatever good that may be.
                                                                              -- D

JGB1977

An adapter was supplied with the unit for the flt blade connector to the three prong plug and as such I did not even thinking of looking at the voltage of the power supply.

It is the EZCommand unit that started smoking.

I was thinking of purchasing a 220V to 16V AC converter which are available to connect to the Command unit.

NarrowMinded

As long as the output is 16vac from the power supply the unit will never realise what the primary voltage is.

It does sound like you let the magic smoke out though, once released its finished.

If it does work it likely wont be for long

Nm-jeff

MyBamccallTrack

I am looking Australia Power Adapter suitable to my Bachmann Train Power Pack & Speed Controller 46605A is 16V and 1amp maximum or minimum amp due overheat 1 amp current or increase to 2 amp is normal current. Also what is DC plug size to Speed Controller DC socket. It is some old laptop power adapter unit is 16V output and up to 5 amp less DC plug size suitable to E-Z Command unit at eBay selling. I don't like new power adapter 240VAC - 16VDC 1 amp selling fake at Hong Kong eBay.