News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

PCB Board

Started by Gump, July 27, 2016, 12:24:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gump

What is the purpose of the PCB board ?  My knowledge of electronics is limited to where the on/off switch is located and my experience takes us back to the '60's.

jbrock27

It holds electronic components.
Keep Calm and Carry On

James in FL

As @jbrock27 replied, that is its primary function.

Many of those "electronic" components are requirements in some parts of the world.
Mandated RF suppression requirements, mainly in the EU, require a circuit to achieve this.
Thus the board.
If you are analog (DC) you can remove this PCB board.
You may/will need a diode, resistor, and a led, if you can't scavenge these from the board, (Basic forward, reverse lights).

Good luck

RAM

Or you can leave it in.

Gump

Thank you, Gentlemen:
From your answers, I assume the development of Digital Command Control required the components of the PC board.
I've noticed some PC boards on newer products (engines), are smaller and less complicated.
When troubleshooting a poorly running engine, how do I know it's not the PC board ??

James in FL

QuoteI assume the development of Digital Command Control required the components of the PC board.
Yes, for the most part, some simple circuit boards came about with the advent of led lighting as opposed to GOW or GOR incandescent bulbs.

QuoteI've noticed some PC boards on newer products (engines), are smaller and less complicated.
These can be very compact, just harboring a resistor(s) and a led(s).
Many full function decoders are no bigger than a dime.

QuoteWhen troubleshooting a poorly running engine, how do I know it's not the PC board ??
If you have a multi-meter and are versed in its use, you can check the board at the component level.
You could also temporally remove the board and apply 12v DC directly to the motor brush caps.
If the motor proves to be good then your problem is in the path from the wheelsets to the brushes, lots of places to check for continuity.

Do you have a particular poorly running engine that you are asking about?

Len

Quote from: Gump on July 28, 2016, 07:36:26 PM
When troubleshooting a poorly running engine, how do I know it's not the PC board ??

Is this a new loco, or one you've had a while?

If new, check the wires going to the PC board. If they are held on with small plastic pieces, slide them back and make sure the bare wire end is actually making contact with the copper pad. Then replace. Also check to make sure the pick-ups at the wheels are making contact, and there's no "fuzz" caught under any of them.

If you've had it a while, the most likely culprit are dirty wheels, track, and/or power pick-ups. If you've had it for a long time it could also be worn motor brushes.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Gump

I have several engines I'm investigating.  The one in question is the 4-6-0.  The previous owner seldom used it but removed the PC and converted it to DC.   Since posting, I've removed the motor and it seems weak.  Yes, it's a project but part of the hobby I enjoy.
Thanks for all your input.

James in FL

Hi Gump,

I would like to see a picture of the removed board and the DIY conversion to DC, can you post a picture of that?. It would be a tremendous help in troubleshooting.
Without that, we are just whizzing in the wind.
It would/should be a very simple circuit of the resistors and the leds.
Look here to post pictures to this forum:
http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,30172.0.html

Do you have access to a multi-meter?