News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

HO Spectrum light 4-8-2

Started by cbauer, July 22, 2016, 08:18:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cbauer

I have finally completed track laying on my layout.  I have a Digitrax Zephyr and a PM42 to distribute the power.  I started to see if the engines I have collected over the years work.  When I tried to run my non-DCC 4-8-2, the circuit breakers trip and the engine sputters ahead about a 1/4 turn of the drivers.  I use address 00 as per the Digitrax manual.  Anybody have a similar problem?
Any answers?

Thanks,
Clint

RAM

Make sure that the tender trucks are turned the correct way. If one of them got turn around you will have a short.

cbauer

Thanks, thought of that.  The circuit breaker actually trips even if I do not put the tender on the tracks!

RAM

Do other locomotives run?  If they do than you know the problem is in this locomotive.  Check the contacts on the drivers to make sure that they are correct.

cbauer

Thought of that too.  Checked the drivers and they seem to be in order.  There is a short somewhere in the engine.  I rocked the engine on either side of the drivers and it stops.  The next step is to open the engine and check the wiring.