News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

3-truck shay tender shell removal

Started by mkepler954, July 29, 2016, 11:57:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mkepler954

How do you remove the shell from an 80 ton 3-truck shay?  I want to install a DCC decoder in the tender

DAVE2744

Mkepler - here is a link to a terrific set of dis-assembly photos for the Shay.  http://gearedsteam.blogspot.ca/2012/06/bachmann-spectrum-shay-disassembly.html.

The dcc board will go inside the articulated tender, the sugar cube speaker will go in the main tender, facing forward.  This puts most of the sound closer to the "source", as you will be observing this unit close-up a lot.

If this unit was not ready for dcc, you have your work cut out for you.  My unit had facrory dcc installed,  and it is
not an easy unit to work on. 

With the sound installed,  these engines are a thing of beauty!   Good lluck,  Dave

Geared Steam

Quote from: mkepler954 on July 29, 2016, 11:57:17 PM
How do you remove the shell from an 80 ton 3-truck shay?  I want to install a DCC decoder in the tender

Remove the tender truck and the rear tuck on the main frame. This will expose the 2 mini plug connections, a slotted head screw that holds the draw bar from the loco, and finally a Phillips head screw beside the draw bar screw. Remove the phillips head screw and the tender cover pivots off from the front to the rear, the rear is hinged. Be careful in regards to the ladder and sanders on the back of the tender. There is an 8 pin plug for connecting the decoder to. While your in in there, remove the yellow capacitor to improve running abilities.