News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

New locomotive noisy?

Started by bsamot69, August 08, 2016, 08:23:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bsamot69

I purchased a new train set, still wrapped in plastic.  It is an Athearn f7, John Deere set. the  loco runs nice at all speeds, however, it has a rough sound/vibration inside.  Is there a break-in period or does the new proud owner of these :)new:) trains need to lubricate before the first run around the track?

brokenrail

They are all noisy. Break in time required for any mechanism even Bachmann's competition hint. It has been sitting for years a inspection of the mechanism before running may be a logical idea if it needs to be lubricated or not, Take the shell off and make a effort by looking it over. This is a Bachmann Sponsored Forum .Questions should be inquired here about Bachmann Products.
Johnny

jbrock27

Quote from: brokenrail on August 08, 2016, 09:26:46 PM
They are all noisy.
Johnny

Not so.

Quote from: brokenrail on August 08, 2016, 09:26:46 PM
Questions should be inquired here about Bachmann Products.
Johnny

Also not an absolute.

69, I am not a big believer in the "break in" theory.  Something is causing it and it won't go away on its own.  I agree with Johnny's point about no good coming from it sitting in box for a time.  W/o any other info, I am going to guess the steel metal spring clip that goes across the top bronze motor contact is the culprit.  I have followed the guidelines and suggestions made in the link that Joe provided with good results.
Start by taking the shell off and run the loco.  See if the ends of that spring clip is rubbing on the flywheels.  If the noise goes away and you put the shell on and the noise returns...
Also see if there is any lube or if it is dried up in the truck gears.  A very, very, very little dab of oil at both ends where the drive shafts enter the delrin plastic motor housing would not hurt.  Be particularly careful not to put too much oil on the end where the commutator is as it tends to wick into the commutator.  If you have it, use Conducta Lube on the shaft at that end instead.
Keep us informed of how you are making out.
Keep Calm and Carry On