News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

large scale climax sound help please

Started by bob kaplan, August 02, 2016, 01:43:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bob kaplan

I have a Dallee sound card installed in a trailing car behind my climax.   Used a reed switch with two sensor magnets on an axle of a wheel to provide chuff sound.  But that arrangement does not provide enough chuffs per revolution of the wheels to look in time with the piston motion of the climax engine.  In hopes of getting a higher chuff rate, I installed 4 mags on the wheel of the car.  But the reed switch did not seem to open/close fast enough and was equivalent to the two mags on the axle.......so....

In hopes of using the optical chuff from the engine I ran wires from the Bachmann board in the tender area, splice out the reed switch, and spliced in one wire to the locomotive ground from the Bachmann board and the other wire to the # 5 pin (Chuff trigger 1) on the Bachmann board.  But then there is no chuff at all.

Can someone explain what is wrong with my thinking....and how using a trailing car, I can use the Bachmann mechanism to stimulate the chuff circuit on the Dallee board.

Obviously I do not know a great deal of electrical "stuff" so help would be appreciated.   Thank you.

Sandblaster

bob kaplan

Thank you....but I would like to be able to use the optical sensors from the Bachmann Climax to power the sound board in the trailing car.  I don't need a set of sensors since they are in the engine.

I should point out that the power for the Dallee sound board is from pick up wheels on the trailing car.  Then I do feed that into the power input on the Bachmann board to help the Climax get through LGB plastic frogs without any sputtering.

bob kaplan