News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Just stopped by to say "hi".

Started by Terry Toenges, August 10, 2016, 12:56:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Terry Toenges

It looks like it's been over a year since I posted on here and haven't checked in here in a long time. I just wanted say "hi" to everyone. I've pretty much hung up my railroading spurs.
I did a Lionel set-up around the tree last year but that's it.  I might try to do something Bachmann for Christmas this year to go with the Lionel. I'm thinking trolley. I don't know how much longer I can do Christmas set ups because it's real hard doing a lot of bending over now.  I have some of my old time Bachmann stuff set up on a ledge around the dining room.
I'm sorry to see Lee Riley passed. I'm sure the Bachmann community in particular and model railroading in general is so much the poorer without him.
I'm not doing so good health wise. I'm on oxygen full time now with COPD so I can't be very active anymore. I did it to myself with all those years of smoking. I have to use a cane if I have walk any distance. I have degenerative disk disease.  I have to wear hearing aids sometimes now.  I wear reading glasses now. It's hell getting old.
I have two great grand kids now, one by each of my grand kids. (the new great grandson less than a month ago). I see my 2 year old great grand daughter often and she is a true pleasure in my life.

Feel like a Mogul.

RAM

I thought that grand child must be a girl.  She more interested in the doll than the train.  What a shame.  You hang in there and enjoy those grand kids, as well as your trains.

K487

Hey Terry:

Is that fence not only for colorful light bulbs but to keep little hands off the train and track?

K487

Terry Toenges

It's to keep the inquisitive hands off. She still reached between the slats to grab the train when it was going. I used to have to put a fence up when her mother and her uncle were little too.
Feel like a Mogul.

K487

Ahhh, I see - she's just continuing the family tradition.  No penalty for that, right?

K487

OERM306

Terry the two of us have the same parts falling off.  It's never the right time to get old but it's always the right time for trains.  Take some time and RIDE trains.  AMTRAK is good about accommodating oxygen paraphernalia and the handicapped bedroom has Windows on both sides of the car.

Terry Toenges

I've been on a lot of the tourist trains around the country. From where I live, I'd have to drive 60-70 miles just to get to AMTRAK. My wife is still smoking so she doesn't want ride when she can't smoke.
I just ordered the Bachmann reversing set up to start getting prepared for Christmas. I was going to get it last year and waited too long. Between the breathing and the back hurting, I can only do a little bit at a time.
I had the On30 set up with the car barn some years ago, but that's stashed out in the garage somewhere and I took it apart and now I can't remember if it still works. If I find that and it still works, I'll be able to have two reversing things. I have to get more 15" radius track so I can use the set ups with smaller curves.
Feel like a Mogul.

jbrock27

Quote from: Terry Toenges on August 16, 2016, 11:00:09 AM
My wife is still smoking so she doesn't want ride when she can't smoke.

Very thoughtful of her to smoke considering you are on O2.  She the "Angel" you speak of in your Signature line?
Keep Calm and Carry On

Terry Toenges

She goes outside to smoke. She doesn't do it in the house or when we are in the car. On a long train ride. she would be climbing the walls and have attitude. What you would call a "nicotine fit".
The "angel" thing is the title of a Black Oak Arkansas album.
Feel like a Mogul.

jbrock27

Ahh.  Thanks for the clarification.  Very thoughtful. 

Re: nicotine: they do make something called "the patch"... 

Can't leave her behind then and go yourself?
Keep Calm and Carry On

Terry Toenges

I got to have someone to tote my oxygen tanks. ;D Just kidding.
Before I finally quit, I tried every "stop smoking" thing around including hypnosis, patches, lozenges, chantix, and vapor gizmos. The only way I was able to do it was when I got real sick last year for about a week and didn't want a cig and when I got better, I just toughed it out. I'm now "addicted" to cough drops and mints to replace the smoking.
Feel like a Mogul.

jbrock27

I am sorry.  Have to say that is a hell of a reason to have forced you to quit, unfortunately.  I hope you have better days ahead :)
Keep Calm and Carry On