Spectrum Magnum C90715 Power Pack

Started by AFHacker, August 11, 2016, 06:28:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AFHacker

I'm hacking my old American Flyer locomotive ("Royal Blue" 4-6-2 S-scale); I have converted it to run on DC vice AC.  I'm trying to use a Spectrum Magnum C90715 power pack; it will run the locomotive fine in the test stand, but after about 30 seconds, the power pack shuts down (i.e., a voltmeter across the output reads zero).  If I turn it off and I wait a few minutes, it operates again for about 30 seconds, with the same failure mode.  So two questions:
1) What's the rated power output on this power pack?  (There is no label with that info.)
2) Is there a thermal or other kind of cutoff inside the pack?
3) Does it sound as if I have a defective power pack?

Many thanks for any help; the reversing unit on the AF loco was unrepairable, and I'm trying to get it in shape to pass to my grandkids.

Len

Are you using the original "universal" motor with DC power, or did you upgrade to a Timko can motor? Also, do you still have the smoke unit connected? The original motor pulls a lot more current than the new can motors, and if you add the current the smoke unit pulls on top of that, you could very easily be overloading your DC power pack.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

AFHacker

I'm using the original universal motor, but do not have a smoke unit.

Len

I went back through my notes from when my repair shop was still open, and between the metal chassis, die-cast body, and 'universal' motor, that's one heavy locomotive. On my shop test stand, they generally pulled between 1.5 and 1.75 amps continuous, without any cars. Start adding cars behind it, and that will go up considerably.

Those locos came in the 48T set, as well as being sold individually, which came with a 75 watt AC transformer. So I suspect you're going to need a power pack that can supply at least 3 amps, or more, continuous. An MRC 9500 might work, or something designed to power 'G' locos bigger than what comes in starter sets.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

AFHacker

Thank you for the advice. :D. I obtained an 80-watt power pack, And everything is now working very well.  Just have to make sure that all my old track stays clean!  My first foray into this forum; manythanksfor the quick, useful responses!