News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Sluggish Blue Comet

Started by dhlatham, November 25, 2007, 12:53:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dhlatham

I have a Blue Comet G scale train that I use only around Christmas.  It has always been a bit sluggish, but this year it will barely make it around the track even without the other cars attached.  Any ideas?

SteamGene

Probably needs cleaning, both loco and rails.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Jim Banner

Lubrication will also help after sitting around for a long time.  Lack of lubrication can more than double the power drawn by the motor and the barely-adequate-at-the-best-of-times power pack that comes with the set cannot handle the extra load.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

dhlatham

How do I clean the motor?  What oil do I use and where?  Is there a manual available?

Loco Bill Canelos

Best thing to do is start by checking the output of the power pack.  It will require a cheap voltage tester.  Put the speed on full.  If the power pack is putting out 12 or more volts at the connection then check the voltage on the track, by touching the tester probes to the tracks at various spots.  if the voltage is the same and the loco runs slow the problem is with the loco.  If the voltage is good at the power pack, but low on the rails, then the rails may be dirty, or the connections from the power pack to the track is not good.  If the voltage is low at the powerpack aat full throttle then the problem is with the power pack. 

It is best not to take anything apart until you trouble shoot and are sure of the problem

If you are the original owner your loco is covered by the Bachmann Waranty then contact the service dept.  If it is the powerpack then see if you can find a new one at your local hobby shop, or on Ebay or by contacting Bachmann Service and buying a new one.

Hope this helps!!
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!