News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Building a New Layout

Started by jonathan, August 13, 2016, 12:49:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbrock27

JV, that a Porsche I see parked next to a Model A?
Keep Calm and Carry On

J3a-614

Quote from: Len on November 20, 2016, 08:06:10 AM
If you want to keep the coaling facility size down, you could do something along these lines:

Coal storage could be as simple as a bunker that feeds coal to the tower by a conveyer system in trenches under the tracks. Note the "storm drain" type cast concrete trench in the lower left side of the pic.

Len

There's a classic kit available of this, which is partially of matboard (cardboard), originally marketed by Alexander Scale Models.  There was also a scratchbuilding article about it in Model Railroader, back in the 1950s:

http://www.hobbylinc.com/suncoast-fairbanks-morse-automatic-coaling-station-kit-ho-scale-model-railroad-structure-3080

J3a-614

Quote from: jonathan on November 20, 2016, 05:21:46 AM
Started installing several signals.  My arms got tired from reaching up and twisting wires together.  So, thought I'd stop and take a few photos before I got out the soldering iron.

Hosted on Fotki

Here, I've thrown the turnouts associated with these signals.  If the photo is sharp enough, you can see the aspect changes of the points:

Hosted on Fotki

Another angle for perspective.  The next section of hillside is complete.  That shows up in the background:

Hosted on Fotki

Regards,

Jonathan

Addendum:  Been researching coaling towers.  I need to add one in this portion of the layout.  However, I don't want it to be overwhelming.  There are some nice towers out there, but they're so big, they would become the focal point of the scene.  I like the T.W. Snow tower--the one that looks like a tilted toilet paper roll.  It is pricey, and complicated to build. Studying...

In regard to the railroad as a whole, I was wondering how it was going to work out, with a huge roundhouse on on side and what appears to be a developing coal mine on the other.

What makes it work are those bridges that act as a sort of scenic divider, at least in certain camera angles--neat!

J3a-614

A thought about the coaling tower--a lot of the difficulty you face is from one of the classic problems of all model railroaders, a lack of space!

You might want to consider locating the coaling tower about where that Atlas water tank is, though I don't know where you would locate the track for hoppers to supply it.  As to water supply, it wouldn't be unusual at all for an engine terminal of this size to use a large steel tank that might be behind the roundhouse, with a lot of penstocks where you actually needed to fill tenders.  The prototypes did just this for the same reasons we do--not enough space!

An alternate location, and again with the challenge of locating the supply track for it, would be along the main line in front of the small engine house, but then you are talking about a large structure, one that's quite tall, right in front of the roundhouse and blocking the view!

Well, that sort of thing does happen in the prototype!! :D

jonathan

Ooh boy, where to start?

First, thanks for all the helpful comments.  I do have a bit of a pickle to sort through.

Second, yes, the Porsche Cayman was part of my spree when Walmart was selling HO cars for a dollar-a-piece.  So, I have a bunch of vehicles from an era NOT associated with the 50's.  They show up from time to time on the layout.  That'll change.

Third, I definitely do not want to block the scene around the roundhouse.  As J3a has pointed out, I can move structures around, after the roundhouse, to accommodate a coal tower.  I have seen the FM kit, and it's a more reasonable size.  Considering it.  I keep thinking a poured cement coaling tower would be more prototypical for mid to late 50's--especially given the size of the roundhouse.  Location and footprint are still being noodled-out.

Fourth, one of the reasons I chose a figure 8 layout is the disruption to the space-time continuum that exists under the bridge.  I can create two scenes, on either side of the bridge, while the train travels 20 miles instantaneously traveling under the bridge--arriving at a mine and freight area just seconds after leaving the service area.  ;D That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

Finally, I do have one penstock installed so far... might add a couple more.  I do like the water-tower-behind-the-roundhouse idea.  Might be able to squeeze something in back there.

Thanks again, guys.

Regards,

Jonathan

Len

You could always cover the outside of the FM coal tower with 'wood' sheathing.

Anybody asks, FM later copied yours in concrete.  ;D

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Trainman203

If you REALLY want to keep the size of the coaling facility down, do what the Cotton Belt did in Hamilton , Texas......

Coal was delivered in gons or hoppers, didn't matter which.  The "night watchman" (hostler) would by himself shovel it all out overnight into a pile on the ground.  Then, he'd coal up each engine the same way, from the pile up into the tender.

"That", friends, is what you would call "work."

Fortunately, though, these engines were moguls, ten-wheelers, and 4-4-0s, though, not 4-8-4s.

J3a-614

Quote from: Trainman203 on November 21, 2016, 10:51:07 AM
If you REALLY want to keep the size of the coaling facility down, do what the Cotton Belt did in Hamilton , Texas......

Coal was delivered in gons or hoppers, didn't matter which.  The "night watchman" (hostler) would by himself shovel it all out overnight into a pile on the ground.  Then, he'd coal up each engine the same way, from the pile up into the tender.

"That", friends, is what you would call "work."

Fortunately, though, these engines were moguls, ten-wheelers, and 4-4-0s, though, not 4-8-4s.

Alas, this railroad rosters a T-class 4-8-2, at least one Big Six 2-10-2, and will occasionally host an EM-1 Yellowstone!

And then there are all those Mikes and chunky 2-8-0s, too.

One model to consider for the coaling tower, even though it represents a wooden prototype, is made by Bachmann:

http://shop.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=879_754_757_759&products_id=2396

Yes, it is on the crude side by modern standards, but it can also be dressed up with things like better steps, walkways, railings, and coal chutes.  There was an article on just such a conversion not too long ago, and the results were quite acceptable.  In terms of overall size, it might be a bit small for an engine terminal of this size, but not too much so.

Wooden construction would not be too out of place, either.  A number of facilities, among them the B&O division point yard at Brunswick, Md., had a large coaling station of the trestle type, and it was wood.

You wouldn't want to use this type here--it takes up way too much space--but proof that such a facility was in use into the late steam era can be had in this shot from the Northern Pacific, and it looks like it's made of wood:

http://ogrforum.ogaugerr.com/fileSendAction/fcType/0/fcOid/2415514336986800/filePointer/10299794783761816/fodoid/10299794783761812/imageType/LARGE/inlineImage/true/Coaling%20Station.jpg

J3a-614

One other point to note--a lot of coaling stations, including the concrete ones, also incorporated sanding facilities, as does the Northern Pacific trestle station shown above.  That might be something else to consider to gain some more space in lieu of the sandhouse model that's visible now.

RAM

Yes you could move the water tower and tower down by the bridge.  Then you could put a short siding to supply coal for the coaling tower.  Another thing would be to move the scale house to the other end of the siding. That way you can take a cut of cars (4 or 5) and run the over the scale track. 

jonathan

More excellent ideas to ponder. Thanks! Now I have at least three locations to consider, with few changes to the track plan.  I am not married to my current structure locations, but I do like where my passenger station sits at the moment.  I could get over that.

I saw a brass Ogle coaling tower yesterday with a minimum footprint--could go just about anywhere.  But the price... oh my gosh.  I don't spend that much on locomotives.  :o

There's a couple of train shows coming up, over the next few months.  I may let fate decide by what I find at the shows.  Meanwhile, I've got plenty of other areas on which to focus.  Thanks again.

Regards,

Jonathan

Martha

Wow Jonathan!Wow! You rock with your layouts, especially the attention to details. Just awesome. Can't wait to see your progress. Happy Thanksgiving

jonathan

Thanks, Martha!

Happy Thanksgiving to you!

Regards,

Jonathan

jonathan

Well, it  looks like Fotki does not stay free, so I've lost that account.  I'm stuck with photobucket again. Crap.

Anyway, I'm trying to complete the background before moving on to the more fun stuff.  I'm connecting the two halves of the hillside and putting a little more detail in my structures on top.

My intention is to  have a fold-out flap for  maintenance and repair access. That flap will be where the folded down strips are located, if you get my meaning.

I didn't throw too many details at the structures.  Observers can't get closer than 5 feet. The weathered fence covers up that fact that there's no street... or any other detail for that matter.

I tried to take some low-light shots of the buildings... not so great... still learning.

Regards,

Jonathan

Jerrys HO

Man you just have the knack for making things look like they were made to go where ever you put them. You stick buildings on a shelf and all of a sudden you have a town. I am having trouble designing the neighborhood in one of my sections.
You definitely keep my hopes up every time I see your progress.