News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Building a New Layout

Started by jonathan, August 13, 2016, 12:49:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WoundedBear

Jonathan...........

Sorry for recommending Fotki to you. I do pay for my storage, I didn't realize you were looking for a free site. I never had much luck with the free ones, that's why I ponied up for the Fotki membership. It's not all that expensive considering other chit I waste my money on.

Sid

Irbricksceo

Quote from: jonathan on November 26, 2016, 04:37:59 PM
Well, it  looks like Fotki does not stay free, so I've lost that account.  I'm stuck with photobucket again. Crap.

Look into Imgur, I love using it.

In layout news, that looks great, I love how you've made the town look
Modeling NYC in N

WoundedBear

I don't like this line from Imgur's user policy.........

" Also, don't use Imgur to host image libraries you link to from elsewhere, content for your website, advertising, avatars, or anything else that turns us into your content delivery network"

Sounds like the exact opposite of what a guy needs in a photo hosting site.

Sid

jonathan

Thanks, Jerry et al.  This scene is mostly illusion, since it sits back from the observer.  Your mind thinks there is more than is actually there.  One of those things I learned from doing a little theater years ago.

Sid, no worries.  :) It was great while it lasted.  Perhaps I'll have to break down and pay for a hosting site.  The free ones come with a lot of baggage.

OK, this is my first hidden access panel.  I still have some needed trim work to hide the seams, but you'll get the idea from these two photos:

I'm waiting for the plaster cloth to dry before I continue on.

Regards,

Jonathan

jonathan

OK. Time for a big picture look to assess progress...

I have the first access panel done, and you have to look real close to see the seams.  Just one square left of the hillside and I can get away from the background for a while.  

Eventually, I'll have to do something about those drapes... and add more lighting.

(standby:  photobucket is "popupping" me to death)

As I was saying, here are the photos, quickly, before I have a pop up seizure (even on firefox).

Glue is still wet:

Regards,

Jonathan

Len

Under the Firefox 'Options' select 'Content' and check 'Block Pop-up Windows'. Also install the 'Ad Blocker Plus' add-on. That pretty much put an end to the Photobucket pop-ups for me.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

jonathan

Will try it.  Thanks, Len.

Regards,

Jonathan

Jerrys HO

Looking great! What kind of presents is Ole St.Nick leaving in the roundhouse?  ;D

jonathan

Thanks!

Santa could be bring a gallon of white glue at this point, and I'd be quite happy.  :)

Regards,

Jonathan

jonathan

There's a train show this weekend. I'll be able to look at some of the structures and details I've been contemplating.  In the meantime...

I added some lighting to the interior of the roundhouse. Didn't have to be too careful with the wiring, as you can't see it once the roof pieces are in place (not tacked down, yet). Nothing is soldered, yet.  This is a test to see if it all works.  Now, I can get out the iron and go to town.

Additionally, I painted and planted a few pigeons on the layout.  They look more like seagulls to me (must be all those years in the Navy  ;) ).

I'm afraid I haven't mastered low-light photography, yet. Still, here are a few shots of the progress:

Regards,

Jonathan

Left to right:  Spectrum Heavy Mountain, Brass E-27a, Brass Q-4b, Spectrum Connie, Brass S-1a, Spectrum EM-1.

Spectrum EM-1.

Spectrum Consolidation.

WoundedBear

I really like the close-up shot, through the window.

Sid

jonathan

Thanks, Sid.

I have to do the old manual focus, to keep the camera from focusing on the window. Then I have to delay the shutter to allow for the extra exposure needed for low-light.  Plus, I should've dusted the windows with a Q-tip. Tough shot to set up. Still trying to learn how to set the ISO.

Regards,

Jonathan

jonathan

Just call me Charlie Brown.  I was looking at some great coaling tower and water tower kits, getting ready to pick out the standard kits, when I spied this old torn box in a corner.  It was a Plastruct Water Tank kit.  I thought what a great score this would be.  Well.... the front of the box should have said, "Warning: this kit is for the scratchbuilder who is looking for something uber challenging!"

I must have been out of my mind picking this up.  Anyway, here is this water tank, just before cleaning and painting.  Thankfully, this will be behind the roundhouse, so a little obscured.

Regards,

Jonathan

jbrock27

Keep Calm and Carry On

jonathan

Thanks!  This kit reminds me of one of those old Megow kits:  a set of plans and strips of raw material to work with.  The instructions want you to cut pieces, say 39'3" long, in HO scale.  Guess I should have bought an HO ruler at the train show. My measurements were best guesses converting every thing from 87:1.

Regards,

Jonathan