News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Building a New Layout

Started by jonathan, August 13, 2016, 12:49:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonathan

Thanks!  Yes, the bleeding light seems to be an issue.  I'll noodle that out eventually.  :)

Just finished this Dodge.  Took an hour:

The resistor is in the back seat.

Regards,

Jonathan

Addendum:

Again, this one took about an hour. Guess that's about as fast as I can do it.

Flare

Quote from: jonathan on January 20, 2017, 09:25:40 AM
Yes, the bleeding light seems to be an issue.  I'll noodle that out eventually.  :)

How about painting the inside area black to absorb the light?

WoundedBear

I think I would dim them a little Jonathan. They didn't have halogens back then. Like Flare said, a little black paint and dimming should hide any light bleeds.

I like what you have done.

Sid

jonathan

Thanks!  For the last three vehicles, I did use some black paint on the interior. Helped some.

I doctor my photos with some editing software. I think as I sharpen and lighten my photos, the headlights look brighter than they would in person. I'm using yellow white smds which look much dimmer than my structure interiors, at least with the naked eye.

Regards,

Jonathan

jonathan

OK. For the last three vehicles:

Black paint on the interior to prevent some bleed;
larger resistor so the headlights not so bright;

and added drivers.  Done with lighting cars... for now.

Regards,

Jonathan

HoModeler

Your Lighted Car's look nice & will add a nice touch to your layout...

jonathan

Thanks, HO Modeler.

It occurs to me this thread is no longer about starting a layout.  I'm six months into construction and have put a pretty good dent in my project.  I have one last major structure to install.  Then, I'll stop posting to this topic.

This is a substation for my coal-fired power plant.  I've read these were lit up at night for safety.  Hence, I'm adding a series of SMDs around the power grid.

Here, I've just started planting the SMDs, magnet wire, and resistors:

In the next shot, I've completed the wiring.  I glued the magnet wire right to the deck as this will be covered over with gravel.  The rest of the wiring will be painted a similar gray to the rest of the model (I hope).  My thinking is to hide everything in plain sight.  The model itself is complicated. So, some wiring rigged among the super-structure may not be that noticeable.  We'll see...

Still need to put in the chain link fence (scary), rig some model wiring, and weather it.

This model is complicated. It may take a while.  ;D

Regards,

Jonathan

WoundedBear

Wow. I love it. Can't wait to see the fence. Is it photo-etched or actual wire?

The whole scene is shaping up really well. I wouldn't worry about seeing a wire or two here and there. It could only enhance things by adding to the "clutter of it all". Once lit, it should be an outstanding little diorama.

Sid

Martha

I for one will be sad when you stop this thread. You're my lighting hero! I am so envious of your talent especially the lighting. I gained a wealth of knowledge looking at your old and now new layouts. I am now embarking on a new layout with my 8yr old Grandson. Nothing elaborate or probably prototype as I hear that word often, its me and Connor creating the C & G  Railroad. It has been fun and challenging so far and my Grandson is having fun and we are creating a bond I hope will last a lifetime. I will continue checking the forum for anything new you might be working on. I am sad also I haven't seen that broken bucket any place on your layout ;D.

Thanks for sharing Jonathan! 

Martha

jonathan

Not to worry, Martha. I'm sure I'll post about other projects. Still have the broken bucket. Can't seem to let it go.  ;D One day you'll have to show us what you and your grandson are building.

Sid, the fence is some kind of nylon netting. Looks like a challenge to cut straight. I put on a coat of primer to stiffen it. Not sure if I should use a scissors or knife, mark it with a pencil or what.

Regards,

Jonathan

Martha

Fencing.... just a suggestion try heavy spray starch on it prior to cutting it might make it stiff enough to cut. I'd lay it on cardboard or paper towel. Spray it, pin it to lay flat and let it dry. There is commercial stiffening products out there too.

I look forward to seeing your bucket. And I hope to share the C & G RR in the future.

M

Terry Toenges

I hate to see it stop, too. I look always forward to your new pictures of your progress.
Feel like a Mogul.

jbrock27

JV, if you are interested in putting "razor wire" around the top of the chain link fencing, I came across a great idea for it on YouTube where the guy used the springs from retractable pens to make the "razor wire".
Keep Calm and Carry On

West Bound

Jonathan, Here is a good u tube video for making CL fences from scratch. -john West
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_guMOYoCpw

jonathan

John,

Great video.  My first attempt won't be as good as that practiced modeler:

I did the back fence for my first attempt.  It will be against the power structure, so pretty hidden.

Need to cut back on the adhesive.

I like the barbed wire ideas.  Pondering...

Regards,

Jonathan