News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Building a New Layout

Started by jonathan, August 13, 2016, 12:49:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbrock27

Quote from: jonathan on August 26, 2016, 05:19:51 AM
When I am drilling holes, or otherwise creating sawdust, I set the old, busted bucket underneath to catch the mess. 

Regards,

Jonathan

Ok, now there we go, the bucket does have a purpose which I had not thought of!  Good enough.  After this post, I will no longer speak of this bucket :D

Things are coming along nice JV.
Keep Calm and Carry On

jonathan

OK. Taking a break for clean up and getting the kidz ready for school on Monday.

You can see I'm nearly done with the mainline.  Just a couple more feet to go to reach the near side of the bridge.  You can also see where the roundhouse will be planted.  I have enough parts for 8 stalls so far. Would like 12 stalls to make a half-circle.  Pay no attention to the "soda" in the hippy koozie.  In Russian, it's a brewski for meeski and youski.

I will be building some sort of support between the two bridges, so I can run all three tracks completely around the figure 8.  This gives me more switching options for the yard-- roundhouse on one side, and freight yard on the other...

Regards,

Jonathan

J3a-614

I'm amazed at how neat you are keeping things during construction!  Should be a good looking road by the time you're done. 

Of course, we have to ask what are the plans for the aquariums!   :D

We have a pretty good look at the trackplan--it's essentially a figure 8--and it will be interesting to see the details that come in with yard and enginehouse setups.

It does look a bit smaller than what you had, which makes me wonder what you're going to do with all the neat buildings you have on the old one.

Then again, maybe new structures for this one. . .

Still looking forward to progress!!

jonathan

Thanks J3a!  I'm saving the good structures for the new layout.  The cheapies (or poorly constructed ones) will head to the dump.

As for the aquariums, my son really likes critters. We have been through a few over the years... and will probably re-use those tanks.  :)

I hate this part:

If I can think of something clever, I think I have room to run the third track between the two bridges.  There may be a prototype.  Fingers crossed...

I like this part:

Regards,

Jonathan

Len

Atlas has an 18" through truss bridge http://www.atlasrr.com/Trackmisc/hothroughtrussbridge.htm that's a bit narrower than the pony truss bridges your using. They don't have the wide walkways on both sides, so might make it easier to fit three of them into your space.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

J3a-614

Two other possibilities in regard to the bridge--

One, consider it a prototypical operating bottleneck, plenty of examples are in the real world.

Two, find a double track bridge for two adjacent tracks, and add a second single track bridge on one side.  Again, this is something you see in the real world. 

Either idea will work!

jbrock27

Quote from: J3a-614 on August 28, 2016, 09:33:24 AM

Quote from: jonathan on August 28, 2016, 11:04:02 AM
As for the aquariums, my son really likes critters.

Jonathan

I hadn't asked bc I just figured they were to raise a Gila Monster, which was going to be used later to terrorize towns people on the layout :D
Keep Calm and Carry On

Jerrys HO

Jim that's not the reason and you know it, you were focused on the bucket and completely missed the aquariums.

I like J3's 2nd suggestion and it could be a line coming from the yard and joining in to the double. The possibilities are endless.

J3a-614

Quote from: jbrock27 on August 28, 2016, 07:19:28 PM
Quote from: J3a-614 on August 28, 2016, 09:33:24 AM

Quote from: jonathan on August 28, 2016, 11:04:02 AM
As for the aquariums, my son really likes critters.

Jonathan

I hadn't asked bc I just figured they were to raise a Gila Monster, which was going to be used later to terrorize towns people on the layout :D

Ho, ho, ho, I wonder if J. Brock recalls the drive-in film "classic," "The Giant Gila Monster."

Trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJgcIwfyToY

That movie does incorporate its titular creature attacking a train; this starts at 0:48:29 in the copy of the movie below, and it's right in Jonathan's time period:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QVPE4XmU1Y

Note that the models used were from Lionel--and check out the continuity problems, too!

J3a-614

Jhanecker2

Good Morning  :  I remember  the  1959 original ,  used to watch it on television   in the sixties after school  .   It was  a product of it's  time and I can't think of a reason that it needed to be  remade  .   John 2.

jbrock27

Quote from: Jerrys HO on August 28, 2016, 09:34:08 PM
Jim that's not the reason and you know it, you were focused on the bucket and completely missed the aquariums.

Completely false.  I would have to be blind to see it and to not have seen the aquariums.  Rather, I got the sense jv was getting a little peeved answering questions about the aforementioned and decided to give discussion about non train related items a rest.  But then, J3a opened the door, so... ;) 
And I could be completely mistaken, but I get a sense that jv intentionally includes such things as the aforementioned, the bottle and the aquariums in his photos as 'conversation pieces' ;)

Quote from: Jerrys HO on August 28, 2016, 09:34:08 PM
...a line coming from the yard and joining in to the double. The possibilities are endless.

Really?  I would think while perhaps vast, the possibilities are still finite and not infinite. ::)

Quote from: J3a-614 on August 28, 2016, 09:52:17 PM
Ho, ho, ho, I wonder if J. Brock recalls the drive-in film "classic," "The Giant Gila Monster."

LOL !  Of course I do!  The whole reason why I mentioned it.  I think I even have a DVD of it somewhere around here.

Quote from: J3a-614 on August 28, 2016, 10:01:52 PM
Amazingly, the movie was remade in 2012, under the title of "Gila!"

Now THAT, I did not know, LOL :D

Quote from: Jhanecker2 on August 29, 2016, 07:53:07 AM
I can't think of a reason that it needed to be  remade  .   John 2.

Nor can I.  LOL.
Keep Calm and Carry On

jonathan

Taking J3a's suggestion, I went searching for railroad bridges that might match my plan.

Low and behold, there was a series of Rock Island railroad bridges at an obvious choke point along their line.  There were five arched truss bridges, just like mine, all lined up, crossing a river--both single and double tracked bridges.  Very neat!  Just as I've read before:  if you can imagine it, there's probably a prototype out there somewhere.

Oh, the next time I post some photos, I'll see if I can't find more interesting things to throw in the photo, just to get us more off topic.   :) Didn't realize how much fun we are having with that. 

Regards,

Jonathan

jbrock27

Quote from: jonathan on August 30, 2016, 07:28:43 AM
Didn't realize how much fun we are having with that. 

Regards,

Jonathan

Oh, tons of fun.  Just like a Barrel of Monkeys :)  Hope you're having fun too.
Keep Calm and Carry On

jonathan

Finished laying the track for the mainline today. Just been pulling cars around to check for any hiccups.

The turnout on the left heads to the locomotive parking and service area with all the accoutrements that go with it.  The turnout on the right heads to the freight service area.  Trying to decide on any industry that might be trackside there.  There is a way for switchers to cross from one track to another, to deliver cuts of cars to trains on the mainline.  I kept it simple, but time consuming.  I have just enough tortoise machines to cover this area.

OK, Since we seem to love distractions so much, here's one of my collectibles.  Let's see if you can guess what it is.  Here's a couple of hints:

It's upside down.  When in use the pointy end faces down. 

It's around 200 years old.

It's a nautical item.  I am a retired sailor after all.

Let the games begin!

Regards,

Jonathan