News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Building a New Layout

Started by jonathan, August 13, 2016, 12:49:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonathan

Yes. Amazing how limited space on our model layouts mirror problems encountered by the prototypes!

I intentionally built an extended stall in the roundhouse, so one of my EM1's could park in there.  That track goes straight across the turntable to the yard tracks.  I normally run those monster locos at train shows where our club's modular layout can handle big locomotives. This will be mostly for display.  Though, I suspect an EM1 will fit just fine on the new layout. It has a permanent reservation in stall #2.

I have a brass S-1a (2-10-2), which is medium large and requires big radii on curves.  It does fit on the turntable.  Of course, the Big Six won't be running much, but I did want to have enough room so I could back it out of the roundhouse and show it off to those that would appreciate it.  That locomotive has a permanent reservation in stall #1.

I still plan to make a semi-circle roundhouse by extending the one I just built.  It will have to wait until the trackwork and wiring are done.  Plus, those structures get to be a bit pricey as the size increases.

Now on to the freight yard.

Regards,

Jonathan 

Len

That's a problem encountered by many lines as steam power kept getting larger, to the point of no longer fitting existing turntables. In several cases an extra turntable approach track, sometimes two, was added to allow moving straight across, without having to rotate the deck, into a roundhouse stall. It was way cheaper than replacing the turntable.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

jonathan

That's a great idea!  A second approach track could also serve as a useful siding.  I like it a lot!

Regards,

Jonathan

Len

Here's an example. Note how the left hand approach track lines up with the expanded roundhouse stall directly opposite:

Len

jonathan

Nice shot!

Gives me a great example of how things were done.

Thanks.

Regards,

Jonathan

J3a-614

Quote from: Len on September 09, 2016, 07:08:37 AMIn several cases an extra turntable approach track, sometimes two, was added to allow moving straight across, without having to rotate the deck, into a roundhouse stall. It was way cheaper than replacing the turntable.

Len

Actually, in all but the smallest of engine facilities, it was normal to have at least two roundhouse leads just to avoid congestion.  Naturally one would be primarily for inbound locomotives, and one for outbound.  Busier terminals might have three or more.

Usually there would be service facilities on these leads as well for coal, water, sand, and ash handling, or else an oil filler for oil burners that replaced the coal and ash facilities.  This of course required yet another track to spot the coal hoppers and ash gons or the tank cars, though this normally would be connected only by a turnout leading in and wouldn't connect to the turntable.  This wasn't universal; sometimes the service facility had to be elsewhere if space was tight.

Some people have suggested a model railroad based on enginehouse operations can be of interest.  Basically this becomes a switching layout in which you move locomotives around, with stops at the appropriate places to load coal, dump the ashes, add water and sand, spot the engine in the house or turn it and have it ready for departure. . .

I had a chance to see a video clip of the late John Allen's Gorre and Daphetid, and one of the things that stood out was he had a light and a smoke unit in his ash facility at the Great Divide roundhouse, simulating the embers, smoke, and dust you get when you "clean the fire" on a coal burner.  

This is visible at this promotional link for a video on the road starting at about 1:20

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0tHHK-LI6Y

J3a-614

Judging from the flames, it might be that the crew is dropping the fire, but you can get plenty of still-burning pieces of coal just cleaning out the ash pan, which is one of the reasons the ash pan is also hosed out with water to reduce the fire hazard.

And note that this is not an instantaneous process.  It takes time to do this, as does almost anything else with steam servicing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TwOpOkhx9o

Len

J3a - In general, I don't disagree about the 'Inbound/Outbound' approach tracks at many turntables, including the one pictured. My point was the far left track was added from the passenger car service area specifically to acccess the expanded roundhouse stall by locos that were too long to be rotatated on the turntable.

Len

jonathan

OK, decided on a configuration for my loco yard.  The single-parking track, behind the roundhouse is going away (pulling it up). Put in a second approach track.  Then my roundhouse will circle around to have 17 stalls... eventually.

I like this set up:

Regards,

Jonathan

J3a-614

Wow!!  You work fast!

And I like how this looks like its on it's way to becoming a big sprawling facility, which will, like many a prototype, have the look of being added on and modified over time.

BaltoOhioRRfan

Looking good Jon, wish i had the space to do a good size layout, i'd have to hire you to do the wiring. haha

Emily
Emily C.
BaltoOhioRRFan
B&O - America's #1 Railroad.

My Collection on FB - https://www.facebook.com/EmilysModelRailroad
My Collection on YouTube = https://www.youtube.com/user/BORRF

J3a-614

Brain cells being tickled again. . .

Somewhere around here you may want to add a track for a wreck train.  A lot of engine terminals of any size at all had them back in the day.  This would just be a spur somewhere to hold a crane, its tender (usually converted from a flat car, used as an idler car with the boom, and also to carry spare trucks, cables, blocking, etc.), a tool car (old baggage car), old Pullman (dorm car).  It often would be handy to a roundhouse, having the steam wrecker of that time hooked up to house steam to keep it hot without a fire, the air charged with house air, and handy to the roundhouse crew who also were usually the wrecker crew when it went out. 

jonathan

Indeed I am looking for a way to line up my three cranes, boom cars, tool car, and the like.  It's getting tough to find room for everything when your new layout is half the size of the old one.  I'm borderline, spaghetti bowl the way it is.  :)

I finished my trackwork today.  Of course, changes may come about later.  Just wanted to pass on a couple of things:

Instead of bending up a lot of track nails, this time I predrilled holes as I was laying track... just enough so the nail would set in without having to hammer, yet still hold the track in place;

Also, notice the cedar shim under the spike.  For a buck fifty at HD I received a good pile of these cedar shims, which turn out to be great for transitioning track on and off roadbed.  I wanted my loco service area to be rather ground hugging.

Anyway, here's a few shots of the completed trackwork.

Next, is harvesting all my switch machines and wiring from the old layout.  Turnouts and wiring are what come next.  I won't have much to post for a while I suppose.

Regards,

Jonathan

Irbricksceo

I pity the man who has to retrieve the log-laden car on the end of the inner yard track. Hell of a switching job!

Seriously though, looks great jonathan. I wish I had the time, money, or space for a nice large layout. Keep us informed!
Modeling NYC in N

jonathan

Thanks Irbricks!

This layout's surface area covers about 75 square feet.  I was considering this a small layout--perhaps it's really a medium? Dunno.

Right now I'm harvesting wire from the old layout to make track feeders.  Hoping I have enough larger gage wire for the buses. 

I managed to retrieve 5 tortoise switch machines and three other kinds of switch machines.  I'll have to get three more tortoises.  The last 3 turnouts will get the old finger flip, stiff wire treatment, as they are not critical to normal operations.

Regards,

Jonathan