News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Building a New Layout

Started by jonathan, August 13, 2016, 12:49:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonathan

The majority of the track work will be close to the front edges, within reach. I'm intentionally building in crawl space, so I can pop up behind the trackage. The back scenery will be on removable platforms. I can build the scenery on my work bench then drop in place.

That's the plan anyway ;D

Regards,

Jonathan

jbrock27

Quote from: Trainman203 on August 14, 2016, 03:09:32 PM
Answered Brock offline.

And what a glorious answer it was.

Quote from: Trainman203 on August 14, 2016, 03:09:32 PM
Now.  Back to topic...... How about the wide sections Jonathan?

Missed I had asked that question about an hour earlier?

Quote from: jbrock27 on August 14, 2016, 02:04:55 PM
JV, are you going to be able to reach/access across the 4ft wide sections?
Keep Calm and Carry On

jonathan

No new picture to show, but an interesting observation.

I have start to disassemble my old layout, starting at one end and working my way around the layout.

I have discovered how easy it is to harvest the old track work.  Just a spritz of water and the track lifts right off, after pulling the track nails of course.  I laid down the cork roadbed with 1/2" brads throughout most of the layout. The roadbed lifts right off as well.  Looks like I'll be able to reuse most of the track nails.  Saving a lot of bucks here. 

The messy part is spraying the track and roadbed (outside) to remove the remaining ballast.  Though messy, it sprays off easily, too.

This must be why we are encouraged to add scenery with diluted white glue or matte medium.  The job is not quite so tedious as I imagined.

If only I could say the same about the wire.  That is a tedious job, but I should be able to save most of the wire.

Have decided to save the trees, but flush away the ground cover, hydrocal/plaster, and any other fiddly bits that don't seem worth the effort.

Regards,

Jonathan

Jerrys HO

Been awhile since I trolled here but good ole Jonathan brought a little spirit back to me with this project. Jonathan I know it will be just as great (I am thinking better if that's possible) as your last layout. I will definitely be lurking around for more progress reports. Your truly an inspiration.
BTW....... Hello to everyone else missed yall'  ;)

jonathan

Not much to show, yet.  Still disassembling the old layout.  However, I have started to piece together the mainline subroadbed.  You can just make out the figure 8.  I managed to work the grade down to 2%--perhaps just a skosh less.

Max radius is 30".  Minimum radius is 27" so far.  Hope to keep that way.

Regards,

Jonathan

jbrock27

What happened to the bucket there?
Keep Calm and Carry On

Bucksco

Looks like someone kicked the bucket...

Jerrys HO

Quote from: Yardmaster on August 25, 2016, 07:41:26 PM
Looks like someone kicked the bucket...

Now I see who Brock gets it from  :D

Jonathan how much smaller if any is it compared to the other one.

jonathan

Ah the bucket... It's one of those silly things that's been hangin around so long, I can't seem to let go of it.

This layout will be about half the square footage of the last layout, but will be more operational, and more attractive I hope.

Regards,

Jonathan

jbrock27

Quote from: Jerrys HO on August 25, 2016, 08:10:12 PM
Now I see who Brock gets it from  :D

While I was thinking that, and hoping to get to be able to use that line myself, your statement really has no basis. ;)
Keep Calm and Carry On

jbrock27

Quote from: jonathan on August 25, 2016, 08:33:36 PM
Ah the bucket... It's one of those silly things that's been hangin around so long, I can't seem to let go of it.

Regards,

Jonathan

What the ???  Does a totally busted bucket serve some purpose I am not aware or have not thought of?
Keep Calm and Carry On

Jerrys HO

Quote from: jonathan on August 25, 2016, 08:33:36 PM

This layout will be about half the square footage of the last layout, but will be more operational, and more attractive I hope.

Regards,

Jonathan

I know what you mean Jonathan I have a silly old thing (friend) on this forum I just can not let go of  ;D
Looking forward to seeing more as always.

jbrock27

Quote from: Jerrys HO on August 25, 2016, 08:47:33 PM
I know what you mean Jonathan I have a silly old thing (friend) on this forum I just can not let go of  ;D

While this may be very presumptuous of me to say Jerry, I have to say that is a very, very sweet thing for you to say :'(

No really, I would like to know what the point of keeping a busted bucket around is...

Quote from: jonathan on August 13, 2016, 12:49:59 PM
...got rid of a ton of junk. You know how basements can get...

Jonathan

...but in retrospect, this sheds some light.  Yes, I can understand, especially if junk is kept and not gotten rid of over time, LOL.
Keep Calm and Carry On

jonathan

Stop the skit.  Stop the skit. It's entirely too silly!

OK.  When I am drilling holes, or otherwise creating sawdust, I set the old, busted bucket underneath to catch the mess.  Keeping the floor clean is a lofty goal... one in which I am falling behind. When I'm done with the benchwork, I promise, I'll throw out the bucket.  ;D

Regards,

Jonathan

Len

"Throw out the bucket." ???

A little sheet styrene, a heat gun, some Plastic Weld, a bit of oak planking contact paper, and it'll be good as new.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.