News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Building a New Layout

Started by jonathan, August 13, 2016, 12:49:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonathan

The kit comes with resin markers that I will detail, but will not light (too hard).

I wanted to light the interior just for the fun of doing it.  Whether it's prototypical, or not, is not a concern.  I have added caboose interiors in the past.  That was fun and prototypical, but when it's all done, it's impossible to see...

Anyway, I attach the roof with white glue. If I want to add lit markers later, it won't be a problem.

Here, the wires and LEDs are being soldered and installed in the interior:
Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

The a little weight is added... about 2 ounces in total.
Hosted on Fotki

I little test before I continue on.  The roof is on loosely, so you'll see a little light leakage:
Hosted on Fotki

The caboose in front in an I-5d. My new one is an I-1, modernized:
Hosted on Fotki

Pay no attention to the derailment!   ;D Oh, I did add the shades, half way down the windows.  Liked that idea.  Thanks!

Regards,

Jonathan

Trainman203

Good looking crummy. ( remember that name?)

Trainman203

I remember late one night years ago driving in west Texas and passing a FW&D freight, and seeing the caboose interior dimly lighted on one end only. You could hardly see the light at all .

jonathan

There. All done.  I'll get around to weathering it after the novelty wears off.

Enough distractions... back to scenery!

Regards,

Jonathan

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

HoModeler

That's pretty neat good work... I should add lighting to my 3 LVRR cabooses. Looks good though NICE

jonathan

jonathan

What I was hoping to show...

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

I spent some time stringing 2lb fishing line to my poles behind the roundhouse.  I even painted them... still really, really hard to see, especially in a photo.

Anyway, I've completed all the major work on the west end of the layout.  Lighting and super details will come after I've worked all the way east.

Regards,

Jonathan

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

ebtnut

jonathon:  Really nice work on blending the foreground scenery with the background print.  Keep it up!

WoundedBear

Ya.....what EBTNUT said ;D

Amazing what a bit of well thought out scenery can do for a layout!

Sid

jonathan

Thanks, guys!

Regards,

Jonathan

RAM

Just about time to start over.

jonathan

Started installing several signals.  My arms got tired from reaching up and twisting wires together.  So, thought I'd stop and take a few photos before I got out the soldering iron.

Hosted on Fotki

Here, I've thrown the turnouts associated with these signals.  If the photo is sharp enough, you can see the aspect changes of the points:

Hosted on Fotki

Another angle for perspective.  The next section of hillside is complete.  That shows up in the background:

Hosted on Fotki

Regards,

Jonathan

Addendum:  Been researching coaling towers.  I need to add one in this portion of the layout.  However, I don't want it to be overwhelming.  There are some nice towers out there, but they're so big, they would become the focal point of the scene.  I like the T.W. Snow tower--the one that looks like a tilted toilet paper roll.  It is pricey, and complicated to build. Studying...

Len

If you want to keep the coaling facility size down, you could do something along these lines:

Coal storage could be as simple as a bunker that feeds coal to the tower by a conveyer system in trenches under the tracks. Note the "storm drain" type cast concrete trench in the lower left side of the pic.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

WoundedBear

See if you can find a Life Like kit # 1377 or if you like wooden kits, a Kanamodel kit #1034.

Sid