Speaker clips for DCC/Sound Ready Modern 4-4-0 & 52" 4-6-0 tender frames

Started by NKline, August 19, 2016, 11:40:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NKline

I'm lookin for speaker clips for a Baldwin Modern 4-4-0 & a Baldwin 4-6-0 52" low boiler DCC/Sound ready tender frame. <http://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=66_68_210&products_id=8715>. I looked in the part catalog and was only able to find clips for the  4-8-2 Heavy Mountain (sold out) and the J Class 4-8-4. Will the J class speaker clips <http://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=66_68_89&products_id=4266> work with the 4-4-0/4-6-0 tender frame? I tried the Soundtraxx recommended 28mm speaker for it since I can use a speaker gasket but it's too big. I found some 25mm speakers that will work but I can't find 25mm round speaker gaskets and I'd like something, other than or in conjunction with silicone, to help hold the speaker in place. Thank you.

Nathan

Len

You could make your own clips to fit your loco out of brass strips.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

hminky

Just put the speaker in the speaker socket.

It will stay there without clips or gaskets.

Have several On30 locomotives with the speaker just placed in the mounting socket and have had no problems.

Have done the same with speakers in the HO New Tooling Oldtime 4-4-0.

The speaker is heavy enough to stay in place.

The Athearn/Roundhouse 4-4-0/2-6-0's came from the factory with the speaker just sitting in the socket.

Harold

brokenrail

That works ,but if the speaker is not tight to the surface it will vibrate and can be herd .There is a very good thing that I found that has many uses in locomotives called rope caulk.It gives a good bond and is able to be shaped into anything ,but does not harden up like a putty ,but is a putty and will remove if necessary usually in  1 piece. Is not sticky ,but sticks.Great insulator for vibrations,holding wires in place,bulbs/led's in place.Is not a glue,Will not hurt the resin or paint ,and has no odor.
Johnny

hminky

Never had any strange vibration happen with the speakers just placed in the socket and have tested speakers just laying on a plastic tender floor with no problem.

Harold

NKline

Johnny,

Where did you find this rope caulk and what size did you use?

Nathan

Quote from: brokenrail on August 20, 2016, 11:42:37 AM
That works ,but if the speaker is not tight to the surface it will vibrate and can be herd .There is a very good thing that I found that has many uses in locomotives called rope caulk.It gives a good bond and is able to be shaped into anything ,but does not harden up like a putty ,but is a putty and will remove if necessary usually in  1 piece. Is not sticky ,but sticks.Great insulator for vibrations,holding wires in place,bulbs/led's in place.Is not a glue,Will not hurt the resin or paint ,and has no odor.
Johnny

hminky

The speakers don't have to be glued or attached to the tender frame:

The sound unit from a BLI On30 C-16 in a Bachmann On30 Mogul tender.

The speakers in this install are just resting on the plastic frame and there is no "vibration" or any strange sounds.

Harold

brokenrail

Quote from: NKline on August 20, 2016, 02:03:00 PM
Johnny,

Where did you find this rope caulk and what size did you use?

Nathan

Quote from: brokenrail on August 20, 2016, 11:42:37 AM
That works ,but if the speaker is not tight to the surface it will vibrate and can be herd .There is a very good thing that I found that has many uses in locomotives called rope caulk.It gives a good bond and is able to be shaped into anything ,but does not harden up like a putty ,but is a putty and will remove if necessary usually in  1 piece. Is not sticky ,but sticks.Great insulator for vibrations,holding wires in place,bulbs/led's in place.Is not a glue,Will not hurt the resin or paint ,and has no odor.And RE-useable to top it off.dOES  Found it at ACO Hardware. mANY ,many uses.
Johnny

Billm10454

Rope caulk can be found in hardware stores. I've only seen it in one size.