News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Consist 2 F7 Bachmann locomotives

Started by in2tech, August 28, 2016, 03:54:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

in2tech

I have only done this once and I am scared that it will somehow break the engines if I do it again, since they are not running the same speed, or does putting them in consist mode change them to run at the same speed roughly?

Thanks!

spookshow

All consisting does is allow two locomotives to respond to the same address - it does not affect their inherent running characteristics at all. You won't break a locomotive by mating it with a partner that runs at different speeds, but there will be other problems (unplanned uncoupling for starters).

It's pretty easy to speed-match two locomotives - just pick one to be the "boss" and then make adjustments to the three basic speed CV's on the other one. CV2 (vstart), CV6 (vmid) and CV5 (vmax) control motor voltages at the low, middle and high end of the throttle (respectively).

Cheers,
-Mark

in2tech

Forgot to mention I have the Bachmann EZ Command System, so no CV changing will be happening. BTW, I love the simplicity of the EZ Command. And being new to DCC just this year, for all of you just getting into the hobby, if you can afford the price difference, for sure go DCC. Being able to run multiples locomotives without wiring crazy blocks and so forth is amazing.

Looks like I'll be doing a consist very soon. Been wanting to do this again for awhile, I was just afraid it would ruin the locomotives.

I have a very small layout, consisting (get it) of two 2' x 4' bases in an L shape, so the EZ Command is all I need.

Thanks for your quick reply,

spookshow

I've never understood why CV programming wasn't included as an option with EZ Command - you lose so many of the great features of DCC that way. But oh well, it is what it is.

Cheers,
-Mark

Hunt

An aside
FYI   spookshow

Mark, from Bachmann website documentation it look like the  DCC ON BOARD Bachmann N scale F7 is factory equipped with a Bachmann E-Z Command two function decoder.  If so, while the decoder does support CV2 (vstart), it does not support CV6 (vmid) or CV5 (vmax) needed for basic speed matching.

I do not have convenient access to a N scale Bachmann F7 to verify the factory installed decoder.

spookshow

Oops, you are correct Hunt. Forget what I said about speed matching the decoders  ::)

Cheers,
-Mark