News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann 46605A Controller

Started by Reeldude2016, September 04, 2016, 08:29:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reeldude2016

Hi Bach Man!
Just a quick question regarding the 46605A controller. I have two of them and am using them on multiple layouts. Now, what concerns me is that the accessory output is labeled "16VAC". All of my LED lights are all rated at "12VAC". Is this still safe to use as a source to power my LED lights that are 12vac or will it burn them up? Thanks and Happy Railroading!  :-\

jbrock27

Abu-Garcia, since the AC from the pack is fixed, yes, you run the danger of burning our your 12VAC LEDs.  So you need to figure out a way to add an resistor in line from the pack to your lights, to reduce the voltage.  BTW, all LEDs I have used, I run on DC.   Are these Christmas Lights or something similar that take house current?
Keep Calm and Carry On

Reeldude2016

Thank You for the prompt reply! They are standard 12vac  LED strips from China with small built in resistors, however, I still think 16 volts will burn through the built in resistors and then burn the whole strip. What do you think?

jward

resistors are used to control voltage and current to sensitive devices like leds. it is not likely you will burn up the resistors by applying a few volts extra to them. however, you would probably burn up the leds by exceeding their current rating. your best bet would be to power the leds off a 12v dc supply. even if your led strip contains a rectifier to convert ac to dc, it will still work just as well on straight dc.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA