Spouses and model railroading

Started by Trainman203, September 05, 2016, 12:24:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trainman203

Maybe this has been discussed already.  If it has, I don't know about it.

Does your spouse support your model railroading pastime?  Or even participate in it with you?  Tell your story.

K487

Trainman203:

"Does your spouse support your model railroading pastime?"  No.  But she doesn't fight it either (see below.)

"Or even participate in it with you?"  No.

Is it a problem?  No.  Here's why. 

My layout takes up one large room in the house.  So, to be fair, I/we paid about $4,000 to have a stand-alone building about 14Wx16' long built and delivered to us (with 2 windows and a door) and set-up (it's only diagonally about 10' from our back porch).  I then spent many hours finishing it on the inside - electricity, plumbing, painting, etc., and painting it on the outside.

We now have two happy-campers for the last 7 years.  And it also easily functions as a place for guests to sleep.

K487

WoundedBear

I have been married 33 years now.....together for 35.

I wouldn't have married her if she didn't support my interests.....and vice versa.

You think model railroading is a hard one to get past the wife? Try my other hobby.....lololol.

Sid

Jhanecker2

Wounded Bear :   Do you ever let her drive it ?  John2.

WoundedBear

John.........

I would love to let her drive it. She most certainly has the skill, but she lacks the arm strength needed to simply steer or stop this car. There is no brake pedal.....it's a handbrake car and lock to lock on the steering is 1.4 turns with an 8" diameter wheel.

But she is out at the track every weekend with us......she can load and unload the car and tie it down by herself. She warms it up in the pits and understands most everything about the car. She also helps with little things like pulling transmissions out and taking engines apart.  ;D All this while pursuing her own career in Site Administration up here in our oil patch.

Here's a little shot of the chassis looking into the cockpit. I suppose some upholstery might make it more appealing to her too.....lol.

Sid

Len

Quote from: Trainman203 on September 05, 2016, 12:24:06 AM
Maybe this has been discussed already.  If it has, I don't know about it.

Does your spouse support your model railroading pastime?  Or even participate in it with you?  Tell your story.

I'm taking the 5th on this one.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Ckrails

My layout occupies a 10x8 space in the farthest reaches of my basement, behind the boiler and water heater, over the sump pump.  I think "barely tolerate" is the best way to describe it... :)

Trainman203

That's great Sid :o :D.  I'm laughing so hard it's killing me.

Down here on the Gulf it's boats.  Everyone has a boat of some kind.  They cost more, take up as much space,  and take up more time than model railroading.

I'm waiting to hear from someone whose spouse participates with the layout.

Terry Toenges

Sid - I really like your toy. I wish I had one of those but I'm too old for one now. I can't bend over and work on cars like I used to because of my back.
When I bought my toy in 2013, I got a stick and my wife can't drive a stick. ;) When I had it at the strip back then, I found that my reflexes aren't what they used to be either.

As far as my train stuff, she tolerates it. She was happy to have the living room back when I took  down my big layout. She does like the Christmas set-ups though. Now that I have a new great grandson and a 2 year old great granddaughter, I feel the urge to do more  Christmas train stuff.
Feel like a Mogul.

jward

mine not only tolerates it, she has been known to spend nights in a tent by the tracks.

on my model railroad, she "owns" the steam power and I "own" the diesels and electrics.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

sallygoodin

I live with my EX husband. Been together 35 years.wait 37

He hates everything I do lol. No he has no interest in the RR. I clutter our house with art n craft supplies, dollhouses, projects, Train stuff. He grumbles now and then. He also likes old toys but never really looks at what I do with the trains. Maybe he looks when I am not around?

I have wanted a Model Train since I was a little girl. Had a HO scale in the garage for years in totes and finally brought it in, bought a new set, the Durango Silverton HO scale and set it up on a table in the living room so now I can test those old Bachmann engines I had in the garage.

I also am working on a 4x4 layout for my N scale trains. I put this in my crowded craft room but think I can put it in a better place in here once its done but I am not very tall so need it lower to work on it.  I have a lot to learn but finally am doing something about this crazy obsession.

Anyway sorry to rattle on, but he doesn't really complain. if anything its just about the space it takes up. Small house but hoping to figure out sort of shelf units to put the HO scale on someday.

K487

sallygoodin:

A thought about your restricted space - one side of a flat model railroad layout could be hinged.  If the equipment is removed from the layout board you could raise it 90 degrees or more (so it sits vertically or more - i.e. out of the way.)  Note: if you do this be sure to secure it well in that vertical condition - don't want it falling down and conking someone on the head.

K487

OERM306

Support my interest in model railroading?  I think she likes the trains to keep me out of the way!

dutchbuilder

I'm not married (anymore) the only thing I have to worry about are my two feline friends.
One loves to sit next to me when I run the trains.

Ton

Trainman203

The cats don't want to walk all over the layout, chase the train, and knock stuff off the table?