News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

connie loose motor mount

Started by petertoot, November 26, 2007, 06:18:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

petertoot

hi again,i have just lubed up a new connie,made a weird noise,like gears out of mesh,i know curmudgeon has done this a hudred times,this is a first for me,how do i get at the motor to check the gearbow mount,many thanks,peter

Curmudgeon

First, the mount is loose.
The gearbox is free to "rattle" on the mount arm.
Next, here is the "procedure".
Make sure you have the 2 brass collars that are on the drive axle INSIDE the gearbox before tightening the screws on the cover!

Posted on January 09, 2002 at 12:15:10:

While doing some conversion work on one of the new Bachmann 1:20 scale
2-8-0's, I found the motor to be loose on the gearbox.
This is a new design gearbox mount from Bachmann, and bugs may have
inadvertently crept in to the assembly process.
The following is the procedure I used to adjust this and subsequent units.
First is the boiler removal, which is about the easiest Bachmann Large-Scale

to disassemble to date.

Disassembly procedure:

1) Roll engine over on fireman's side, locate forward end of reverse actuating rod under running board where it attaches to the valve gear.
Remove slot-head screw. NOT MAGNETIC! Don't lose it!
2) Roll engine onto its wheels. Remove all 4 screws and both smokebox supports (if you try to flex them out of the way, it will scratch the paint).
3) Roll engine over on it's back.
4) Remove ashpan (4 small screws).
5) Remove 4 screws about in the corners of inside of firebox under ashpan.
6) Remove one screw between cylinders under front truck.
7) Separate boiler from chassis. Pull motor wires down from boiler to reveal in-line plug. You may unplug for complete separation of boiler from chassis.

Check motor for tightness to gearbox as outlined below:

Pull the lower gear cover, 4 screws, and front support bracket on top of frame to gearbox, 2 screws, lift the motor/gearbox off, removed 4 screws on one side and 2 on the other of the gearbox, separate the gearbox halves. The motor screws are located inside the gearbox. I removed the screws, locktited (222) and lubed before re-assembly.

When re-assembling, make sure the sander pipes from the sandbox on top of boiler fit into holes provided in frame just forward of valve gear support bracket. They may spring backwards and rub on lead driver.

TOC

petertoot

hi curmudgeon,many thanks for the info,makes for easy when you know how,now the problems are 1,THE MOTOR IS LOOSE ON THE MOUNT,2,THE DRIVE GEAR ON AXLE IS MISSING 4 TEETH,wich means replacing that axle,i think its not that hard ,as its in bits,motor gears appear fine,how doi go about parts,direct from usa,or the local dealer here,in melbourne.again many thanks for your help,cheeers peter...............